URGENT - Broken leg 4 day chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coolchickens, Nov 9, 2010.

1. coolchickens

coolchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Last night I found one of my 4 day old chicks with a broken leg, appears to be just above the elbow area. Is there any way to splint a tiny babies leg?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Maybe use the shaft from a Q-tip or pipe cleaners folded into a stiff (but soft) stick and Vet wrap/Coban? I've never splinted a chick's leg before but a break is a break and they can usually be fixed if they aren't too high.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck.

3. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
  4. coolchickens

coolchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the replies. So far things are going okay. I moved he/she chick into the den with heat lamp. She can stand on the one leg and hops around in her little box. That web site was very helpful chickerdoddle, thanks. It looks like the injured leg is now able to move some so it might be a pulled tendon. Her toes are curled on that foot but I do massage and straighten then several times a day to keep them limber. I'm thinking about a chick shoe possibly, if it continues. She is very lonely so I'm debating going to the feedstore and getting a newborn chick to put in with her for company. Can't take any from the brooder hens as ea. only has one chick now. Anyway, that's where I'm at. Hope I don't end up with a one legged chicken! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by