URGENT: Broody hen and chicks drinking behaviors after hatching

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rosalie, May 17, 2010.

1. rosalie

rosalie New Egg

May 17, 2010
    If chicks successfully hatch, how long do they stay under their mother and when do they take their first drink of water? Two of our eggs are hatching and we have to go to town, do we put water and food outside to hen box? We would use a chick waterer and raise it off the ground enough so that they don't drown. But if they hatch while we are gone, do they need water right away? And if not how long until they do? Are they huddled under the mother for awhile?

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  2. patnjess

patnjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    How long are you going to be gone? Chicks can go without food or water the first 2 days. Mama will need something but not the babies.

3. rosalie

rosalie New Egg

May 17, 2010
    about 4-6 hours. Do you know if they stay under the mama or wander around?

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Its according to the mom and the babies. One group of mine stayed under a long time ,days, the other was out on their own in an hour or so. They do stay close to mom though for warmth when needed. I always keep water and food out for mom and babies . Gloria Jean

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    The babies are fine for a day or so. I usually put a chick feeder and chick waterer in the broody's space for the chicks after they hatch. Most times the chicks won't leave the mother.

6. rosalie

rosalie New Egg

May 17, 2010
    thank you all for the information! but, chicks eat chick food and the mama eats layer food, how do we keep the mother from eating the chick food?

7. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Mine were ok untill the next day when I
    put water and feed for them and tipped their beaks into a water dish
    that Ihad added a little sugar to
    they found it and lead the others to it. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    I put my chick feeder under a lil roof only they could acces. It was to low for mom to get into! and her feeder was too high for the chicks! Chicks are ok for a maximum of 3 days with out feed or water! they have just absorbed the yolk sac right before hatching! I usually wait 24-48 hours befor I introduce feed and water.
    Congrats on the fuzzy Butts! [​IMG]
    Good luck and God Bless!

9. rosalie

rosalie New Egg

May 17, 2010
    what good information! thanx! Bye now, we have to go to town, I think I might have strep. Throat culture. GAG [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by