Urgent Broody Question!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by austinhart123, Oct 31, 2009.

1. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i had been thinking that my seramahen was acting strange and i thought she was going to turn broody soon and sure enought when i went to lock the chickens up, she was in the nest on her fake egg.

i want to take her off the nest tonight, and just put her on the perch, if i do and she stops bieng broody, will she resume laying tomorrow?

id rather have her broody and not laying than not laying and not broody

so if there is no chance that she will continue laying if i break her broodiness tonight, then i will let her set, so please let me know asap!

btw she is a very young serama and has only laid 14 eggs

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Hello, here is the deal.
    1- by taking her and put her on the roost for a night or two, that will not brake her broodines.
    2- it will take her about a week to cut the egg supply if she became broody.
    that'swhat I know from my experiance with my broody hen last summer.

3. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:Hello, here is the deal.
    1- by taking her and put her on the roost for a night or two, that will not brake her broodines.
    2- it will take her about a week to cut the egg supply if she became broody.
    that'swhat I know from my experiance with my broody hen last summer.

so your saying that she would have to be broody for a week before the point where she wouldnt lay eggs again if broken?

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I agree, it should take more than a few nights of being taken off the nest to break her broodiness, and she it will take a little while after becoming broody to stop laying. I think weather she will continue laying normally will depend on how stressful the "breakup" is to her. She may or may not continue laying normally. IMO, I think you should let her set.

5. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:okay well she probably has been setting for an hour, so i think if shes off for the night it might break her since she has just begun

and the reason i dont want her to set is becuase..
    A. she is really young, only been laying for two weeks
    B. its November, and its getting colder and the days are getting shorter and especially with her age she will probably get easily discouraged and quit

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Yes that's right it will take her about a week after became broody to stop laying, that's what I experianced.

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    There is just no way to answer your questions for certain. Each hen is different in terms of broodiness & laying. You could try to break her broody spell by putting her up on her perch for the night, if that's not sufficient then she'll need to go in a wire-bottomed cage for a few days. She may resume laying eggs right away, or it may take her a few days to readjust.

8. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:oh well i dont think a few days is bad i know some hens stop for several weeks after bieng broody
    i think i will take her off the nest tonight and if shes back on when i get home tomorrow ill give her eggs, if shes not and lays an egg than she will be back to normal

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    OK try that. Sunny_Side_Up is also correct in saying that every hen is different so yes it will be hard to tell you anything for certain.

By the way, I had a duck that barely started laying before she went broody, I was also worried that she may give up early, but she hatched 11 of the 15 eggs she laid and make a great mother. But the cold weather would be hard on young chicks. So I guess it's up to you. Good Luck

10. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:ya especially with little seramas they are not cold weather tolerant
    but if she persists then i will assume she is worthy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by