Urgent!! Button Egg is Pipped in the bottom end!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by The Critter Place, Dec 2, 2011.

1. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I have a button right now that has pipped in the bottom narrow end of the shell! [​IMG]
    Just in the last few hrs.

I'm wondering if the egg needs turned narrow end up?
    Will it be able to hatch ? It seems like the baby wouldn't have room to get out with it like it is.

I do have 4 other pipped eggs that I know of and know I shouldn't open the bator much too.

So,
    What would some of the more experienced hatcher's/breeders suggest?

2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    It will right itself, when it gets closer to hatching you will probably see that egg rolling all around while it repositions to hatch, I wouldn't interfere with it

3. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Hi mochicken,
    Thanks...
    But I have the eggs situated so they can't be moved much. I don't think it will roll and straighten out.

I have them on the wire, but with strips of shelf lining to keep them in place to minimize the soccer/ football game later.

4. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    it should still "zip", if your that worried about it turn it but if it has repositioned itself to zip out of the current pip and you turn it then you could either delay it or possibly even keep it from hatching if it loses strength. Eggs have been hatched forever with a fat ol momma sitting on them and I doubt they all had the perfect pip on top where they could just zip right out of.

Its really up to you honestly but in my incubator I would just leave it alone.

5. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I think it's still too early to tell. It may still do OK.

From my last hatch, I had two that piped on the wrong end. They sort of zipped from small end to large end rather than around. Everyone else hatched and I watched them get weaker and weaker. I felt bad and even though it's not recommended, I helped them out. One came out fine. The other came out bent looking. He took a while to straighten out, but he eventually did. I was really scared because I started thinking that dying before hatching might have been better than living bent. Luckily, it worked out for both chicks and they survived and did fine.

I was thinking that the fact that your eggs are stabilized might be better. It might be better if the eggs are stable while they are trying to turn inside versus having to turn while fighting the outside moving also.

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I was an idiot an set a cbbq egg big end down and just left it. Lockdown came about and the booger was the first to zip out! So you should be fine.

7. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Thanks everyone!

No progress on it yet.

One thing I was worried about is if it could squeeze out the narrow end, especially since it's head would be on the wire.

Mochicken....
    I'm using a havo, genisis 1588, and the humidity jumps back up in minutes. I love it...
    I love how you described the mamma bird.. lol....
    I've raised birds for years... fairly new to quail.. and have lost my share of sleep waiting on eggs to hatch. LOL!

chrishel~
    That's interesting that it zipped narrow to large. That would be neat to see.
    I'm glad they worked out. :)
    I think it's best for the eggs to be stable too. As you say, the chick isn't fighting a spinning battle.
    I tried the first time in an egg carton, and didn't care much for how the went. So now I have the strips.
    I'll try and get a pic, maybe after the hatch is done to show how I 'm doing it.

This is the second hatch i've used the strips and like how they are working.
    I run one long narrow strip down each side of the egg, and then a short one across the length. I lay the egg on the short to raise it some, and the long ones keep it from rolling side to side.

Quaillady,
    Funny you should mention the one you had was the first to hatch! Seems this upside down baby is the first to zip in it's group of eggs. lol...

It's incubated the whole time large end up so I was surprised to see it pip at the bottom.

I have a few that are like marbles, not real sure of the narrow end, so we'll see how they go. Today is day 16, they are starting right on schedule.

8. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have 9 that are on day 15 right now, the next couple days can't get here soon enough lol

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:JoJo, I think you will be fine with this one. But, if it does start to zip out on the bottom, wait until it is nearly out and really struggling to help it out. Chicks need to struggle out of the egg to get their blood and heart rate up for a reason. But if it really does get stuck after it's head is out, then you might want to intervene some. Just make sure the zipping process looks normal in every other way. Good luck!!

10. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    [​IMG]

That's for sure!

Good luck! Try not to wear out a grove in the carpet... [​IMG]

After these hatch... I have a ways to go... About 50 more button eggs !!
    I have Coturnix.. in a day or 2 to hatch and then silkie chickens.. lol...

Just get past the stress of one group on to the next. [​IMG]

Be sure and let us know how your hathc goes!
    Wishing you the best!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by