URGENT! Can I eat a turkey that has been on medicated grower?

zowieyellowflame

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Nova Scotia
Hello,
I have a turkey with bad legs, I think I will be putting him down today unless my splint works. He is a bbw, likely around 8-9 lb. He has been eating medicated grower pellets. (medicated for prevention of black head)
Is it safe to eat the meat or should I bury him?
Thanks

Depends upon what the medication is and what the clearing or withdrawal recommendation is for that medication.

Looking up online for turkey feed with medication for blackhead, the feed I found with the medication says the withdrawl period is 5 days before slaughter.
So, no, I wouldn't eat it.
Also, it is specifically labeled to not be fed to horses or dogs, so don't feed the dead bird to the dogs either or they may have a negative reaction.

EDITED TO ADD: But that is only the stuff I found, what you are using may be different. If you can, check the bag. Otherwise err on the side of caution.

Last edited:
Maybe you could give the splints some time to work, it says only 5 days is needed to clean out the medication, in the meantime feed him something non-medicated.

I never thought to look at the bag.
hmm.png
I just looked, it says to withdraw for 5 days.

I just tried to pick the turkey up and get a better look. The knees are not broken, they just have a strong tendancy to turn inward. They can remain straight and if so, the turkey is able to support his own weight. I am going to try placing a wooden dowel on the inner side of the knee and wrapping with a tensor bandage. If this allows him to get around better, I will give him the 5 days. I think too, I should give him a smaller enclosure, by himself. I will get him off medicated feed right away. Can turkeys eat cracked corn? For a day until I get to the feedstore?

Back
Top Bottom