Urgent carton hatching question!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iamcuriositycat, Sep 7, 2009.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I have one mostly out of the shell--pipped, zipped, pushed the cap off. Now it seems to be struggling really hard to get the rest of the way out. Because it hatched in a carton, it has to go *up* to get the rest of the way out, and it doesn't seem strong enough yet. What worries me is, it is already starting to dry out and fluff up--is there any chance it is going to get stuck to the shell and not be able to get out? If so, when should I act? This is the first hatch with several pipped in there, so I don't want to open the bator if I can help it. Thoughts??

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    You can help that little one out of the carton and place him on the wire floor and let him kick off the shell. Do it very quickly so you dont lose too much humidity.

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I've been carton hatching from day one. The answer to your question is yes. They can get stuck inside of the shell. Another problem that can happen is splay leg if they sit in it too long. I know it's breaking a rule to open the bator, but when this happens to me, I reach in and tump the egg over on it's side. If the chick doesn't get out of the egg within an hour of that, and it's starting to get fluffy, you'll need to take it out of the bator and under a warm lamp with damp paper towels, help it the rest of the way out.

Good luck and congrats!! [​IMG]

PS - If you have a mister bottle, fill it with warm water and give the bator a couple of mist if you have to reach in and take the chick out.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  4. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Okay--thank you!! How long is long enough to let her try? She pushed the cap off around 10:50 am--only ten minutes ago. Might she still manage the rest of the way? Or is it time to open up and pop her on her side?

Thank you!!!!

5. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

i think you can grab him out and put him in a brooder with good temp and very high humidity.

ups, i'm also using carton, i heard people take the eggs out from carton and laid them on flat surface on 18th days so it would seem like natural way the broody hen did to their eggs. i'm going to do like this way on 18th days to my chicken eggs. [​IMG]

good luck heather. sorry can't help much this also my first and they have to fight not only the shell but also the power company (power outages). [​IMG]

6. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Ohhh! I thought she had been there for over an hour! Give her another half an hour or so to get herself out. [​IMG] THEN if she's still having problems, reach in!

7. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Okay--nevermind--SHE DID IT!! Woo-hoo! I have a duckling, I have a duckling, I have a DUCKLING!! Yay.

The umbilicus is still attached though--very weird--counting my last batch of duckies, I have had 3 out of 4 hatches come out with the umbilicus and part of the yolk sac attached. What does that mean? Am I doing something wrong, or is this just really common?

She's good and strong, though, and already trying to get out of the incubator--looking up at us through the window and climbing on the other eggs to try and get up higher. SO CUTE.

And yes, pictures ARE on the way... soon!

8. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

if only mine didn't suffer 17 hours power outages i think my duck will also have been with me here together and i can post his/her pic.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've been hatching in the carton for almost 2 years now....I've never helped one out of the carton yet. Sometimes it takes them a little while to get out, but they always do.

10. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Awesome--thank you Katy. She is doing great--sleeping in the corner waiting on her brothers & sisters to come out. One that had pipped is now expanding the pip. Still six with no pips, but I can wait! I'll post pics in my "Who else is on lockdown this weekend" thread... Working on it right now...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by