URGENT - CHICK IS INJURED

Divena

Hatching
Nov 26, 2020
Hi, I was at a bird seed store and found a sick and dying chick who was barely a week old. He ended up there by mistake and they weren't actually caring for it, so I got it home till he gets better. I don't own a chicken farm or anything, but I do have some other birds. I do realise that chickens do not make good indoor pets but I don't have any other choice, no one was willing to take the chick. I've had him for about a month now, but now I'm in a fix. I've homed him in an empty room all to himself where he has food and plenty of space and where I spend plenty of time with him. But today somehow a stray cat found its way in and managed to bite the poor baby. He's been bitten under his wing (not very deep) and on the thigh of the other side. There was bleeding but it has stopped now. I've applied antiseptic, given him chicken safe vitamins and tried giving him sugar water. He's eating well as of now and even drinking water. However he is completely unable to stand. I've kept him wrapped in a cloth on my lap because it is cold too and I fear he'll hurt himself alone in a cage. Needless to say he's pretty quite and not moving much. When he does, he hurts himself, perhaps because he can't move his leg. There's a possibility for internal bleeding or a nerve getting damaged. Can't say much as of now. There's no vets nearby and the only one is closed at this time. It's 11pm right now. I've seen how birds generally get before dying, he doesn't look like he's in that stage yet. I'll take him to the vet the first thing in the morning when the vet opens. Can someone assist me on what other things I can do to make this situation better. I'm really attached to him and love him very much like I'd love a dog or a cat. I can't afford to watch him suffer and die. I also understand that a chicken inside an apartment is not a wise long term decision. But that's something that I'll worry about later, once (if) he survives. Plus he's a broiler chicken, so no one would even keep him at a farm for eggs. I don't want to give him away just so someone can get a meal out of him. Please help me ouy.

Keep him warm & try to keep him immobile - ish if hes constantly reinjuring himself. Antiseptic is great. Keep it clean and you can apply triple antibiotic (without pain meds) to the wound as well. Sounds like you're doing great.

Posting pictures of the injury can never hurt. Someone might see something you missed in your description. The biggest issue with bites is infection so keep a close eye on that and come up with a plan to get antibiotics if you need them (vet sounds like your plan).

if you do heat and immobilize-ish, make sure he has the chance to get away from the heat if it's too much before you settle him down

Hi, I was at a bird seed store and found a sick and dying chick who was barely a week old. He ended up there by mistake and they weren't actually caring for it, so I got it home till he gets better. I don't own a chicken farm or anything, but I do have some other birds. I do realise that chickens do not make good indoor pets but I don't have any other choice, no one was willing to take the chick. I've had him for about a month now, but now I'm in a fix. I've homed him in an empty room all to himself where he has food and plenty of space and where I spend plenty of time with him. But today somehow a stray cat found its way in and managed to bite the poor baby. He's been bitten under his wing (not very deep) and on the thigh of the other side. There was bleeding but it has stopped now. I've applied antiseptic, given him chicken safe vitamins and tried giving him sugar water. He's eating well as of now and even drinking water. However he is completely unable to stand. I've kept him wrapped in a cloth on my lap because it is cold too and I fear he'll hurt himself alone in a cage. Needless to say he's pretty quite and not moving much. When he does, he hurts himself, perhaps because he can't move his leg. There's a possibility for internal bleeding or a nerve getting damaged. Can't say much as of now. There's no vets nearby and the only one is closed at this time. It's 11pm right now. I've seen how birds generally get before dying, he doesn't look like he's in that stage yet. I'll take him to the vet the first thing in the morning when the vet opens. Can someone assist me on what other things I can do to make this situation better. I'm really attached to him and love him very much like I'd love a dog or a cat. I can't afford to watch him suffer and die. I also understand that a chicken inside an apartment is not a wise long term decision. But that's something that I'll worry about later, once (if) he survives. Plus he's a broiler chicken, so no one would even keep him at a farm for eggs. I don't want to give him away just so someone can get a meal out of him. Please help me ouy.

An Answer for you.
After hand raising (inside my home) for four months, 8 separate broods of chickens and Wild Guinea. I can safely say YES House Chickens ARE doable! Of these birds I picked two that were to be INSIDE chickens. I lost my best girl and her house mate was alone for a year.. I was her flock and she did just fine "all" alone. ONE chicken CAN survive in your home and become your best friend. You must handle them several times a day and hold them often to form a bond. Carry them around the house like a football tucked in your arm. Place them on you with a towel or pee pad under them gently place your hand on their back to simulate a momma hen sitting on them, they will fall asleep just fine.. They talk with you sit on you and do crazy happy chicken dances. I did get another chick and currently have BOTH in my living room. Chickens can wear diapers.. Amazon has them. At one point I had 6 indoor cats and two large dogs AND 4 house chickens in a 1200 sq ft house. If you do not want diapers have waterproof floors and a quick swipe of a sanitizer wipe and you are done. If you have a sick chick you CAN raise it in your home AND it will have a RELATIONSHIP with you! Our living room is only 12ft x 22ft and we have the normal furniture. We have a 48inx30inx33in wire dog crate with TWO doors that houses our two chicks. You will need a heater of some kind.. I use a heated floor mat type they can lay on as well as a Ceramic Heat Emitter that has no light coming from it. 150 watt. For 1 bird I could use a smaller cage but prefer the xx large dog crate for more interior room for them. I have two perches in their house water and food at the ready. I put OXBOW ALPHA hay NOT ANY OTHER KIND OF HAY ... Alpha is a legume other hay is not. It may cause crop or stomach issues if you use any other type of hay or straw. In their nest box and on the floor as bedding.. Oxbow has less dust and is vet recommended for pets. I put a fitted sheet under the cage and brought it up around the sides to catch the "flung" hay.. Clothes pins hold sheet in place and allow for doors to open easily.. I allow the birds free rein of the living room.. I have perches in the corners of my walls near the ceiling. When I am in living room in evening they are on their perches. Put puppy pee pads under them and they and you are just fine. Keep cage and them away from open doors that cause drafts for outside air. I have gotten new cats as all others passed of age and new ones 'LIKE' my chicks a little to much.. We put four light weight wire panels from a portable puppy pen one on top of the other and side by side to reach floor to ceiling and the width of the door way that is held together with zip ties. It hinges so we can open and close it at our leisure. Hooks are attached to wall to lock "door" closed by hooking one of the wires on door. One side of door is zip tied to screwed into wood o rings that the hook fits into.. When chicks are loose cats are locked out.. If I am in kitchen cats are locked in a room and my chicks are in kitchen talking to me. Once you are set up it is easy peasy to care for a LONE CHICK. Children should be trained to handle them gently, not to chase them as they scare easily when chased. Wings are easily broken with rough handling. Remember that they are prey animals (other animals food) and predators (killers of other animals) like cats and dogs CAN harm them.. Due diligence is needed to keep them separated until you have trained cats and dogs the bird is off limits. ONE HOUSE CHIKEN CAN BE THE BEST PET YOU HAVE EVER OWNED!!

Back
Top Bottom