URGENT chick with swollen, deformed leg (pics) UPDATE Sad goodbye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TGreenhut, Jun 7, 2011.

1. TGreenhut

TGreenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    HELP! Last week ago we brought home a turkey chick from a feed store. Until we got home, I didn't notice that the chick had a deformed foot. It's the left foot and the left toe is bent almost underneath the rest of the foot. I think it is just a birth defect and not broken. I didn't think too much about it because the chick was scratching around and walking fine on it. But today the chick cannot put ANY weight on it! The joint on the toe and leg is really swollen and the chick is just dragging it along. This seems to have gotten bad over night.

The chick is being raised out in the barn by a broody hen and other chick. I brought her, mommy and sister into a smaller coop by my house for now.

PLEASE HELP! I don't know what to do and I hate to see my baby suffering.

Scroll down for update

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  2. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    It could be a slipped tendon, search the forums here on advice - some good posts on what you can do to help.

3. horsefreak

horsefreak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Could be a deformity or a snapped or bruised tendon or a dislocated hip or knee joint!
    Post pics!!!
    Horsefreak

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  4. TGreenhut

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    Here are pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. TGreenhut

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    Please can someone help me?????!!!! If it is a slipped tendon, what do I do?!

6. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Bear in mind that none of mine have had this, but here's a link for you: Chicken Orthopedics. Scroll down to "fix slipped achilles tendon in hock joint."

7. TGreenhut

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    I tried to pop the tendon back into place following the intructions on the website, but it just won't budge! How hard do I pull? I'm afraid of hurting the chick.

At this point I'm wondering if putting down the chick is the best way to go [​IMG] What do you guys think?

8. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I wouldn't euthanize him yet.

I got an idea, don't know if it will work in your case, but here goes....get some Penetran, which has been used on cross-beaked chickens. Avian vets use Penetran to relax the facial muscles, allowing the beak to be manipulated into alignment, so it's very possible that it will help make things easier. (Penetran is a cream used by people with arthritis pain)

A non-avian vet should be able to do the adjustment without any problems, it's not like he/she has to treat a poultry illness, which most are reluctant to do so.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  9. TGreenhut

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    I tried all I could for this chick but sadly a pussy cyst popped inside her joint. I brought her to a vet and she said that there was no chance for the chick--that it is to badly infected. We are putting her down tomorrow. I wish I could have done something more. [​IMG]

I decided to name her "Mercy" and will truly miss her. As I sit by the window typing and holding her, I hear her momma and sibling call for her and it makes me sad. [​IMG] I wonder if they will ever learn to forget her. [​IMG]

10. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Poor little chick. [​IMG] I'm so sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by