URGENT - CHICKEN ATTACKED

alecia555

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2021
TW-pic is a little gruesome

hey all i went out to my chickens this morning and found my favourite chicken acting off. upon further discovery i have found an open wound on her back just above her tail.
i suspect she has been attacked by one of my bigger chickens as she cannot fully see so she’s an easy target.
i’ve tried to feed her and give her water but she won’t take it
i’m just wondering what to do for her. not really wanting to take her to the vet as it can be expensive.
any advice would be amazing. thank you

Attachments

• 2136D1DC-1BF1-497D-B608-F59F1CD8039E.jpeg
    2136D1DC-1BF1-497D-B608-F59F1CD8039E.jpeg
    507.1 KB · Views: 28
Usually I put a hen saddle over back, or hip injuries so the others can't see it, plus it can also air out.

But anything that'll discourage picking is fine, as long as the area isn't wrapped.

TW-pic is a little gruesome

hey all i went out to my chickens this morning and found my favourite chicken acting off. upon further discovery i have found an open wound on her back just above her tail.
i suspect she has been attacked by one of my bigger chickens as she cannot fully see so she’s an easy target.
i’ve tried to feed her and give her water but she won’t take it
i’m just wondering what to do for her. not really wanting to take her to the vet as it can be expensive.
any advice would be amazing. thank you
Can you get some more photos of her and the wound too? How is she standing?

Any bad odor coming from the wound?
I would trim the feathers away from the wound so you can see it all clearly. Look to see if there's maggots in the wound while your trimming. It looks to be healing over so probably a couple of days old. I would wipe and flush it out with Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens), Povidone Iodine or Saline. Pat dry, take note of any odor, swelling or pus that you detect. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wound to help keep it moist.
Blue Kote is a great product, but the bluing makes it extremely difficult to access a large wound on a daily basis.

You may find that you need to syringe fluid into her if she won't take fluids on her own from small cup held up to her beak. Offer her a little warmed sugar water to see if she will drink some. Electrolytes or Gatorade can also be given if you have those. Get her drinking, then offer wet feed, bits of egg or something that may interest her.

You mention that she can't see well, so she may have isolated herself for the last couple of days is is severely hydrated by now. Keeping her separated and warm can be helpful too.
Below are some examples of products that are very good to use.

Keep us posted.

1644117511888.png
1644117538268.png

1644117561818.png

Back
Top Bottom