1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Urgent- Chicken convulsing (video)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MuckyMeadowFarm, Nov 9, 2016.

1. MuckyMeadowFarm

MuckyMeadowFarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2013
    Brooks, Maine
    Day 5 of noticeable sick chicken. Started with pale comb, lethargic. Now having neck convulsions, what is this at 28 sec.?

First thought was gapeworm (they are free range), but read that is rare. Put wazine in their water for today but now read that doesn't treat gapeworm. Thoughts? Thank you, I'm worried.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How does her crop feel? I have seen that neck adjustment before, and while some say it is adjusting the crop or something may be stuck in the crop, I think it looks like a neurological symptom. I'm not an expert on this though. Check the crop to see how it feels-- empty, full, soft, or hard. See if the crop empties overnight, when the crop is usually empty.

1 person likes this.
  3. MuckyMeadowFarm

Nov 11, 2013
    Brooks, Maine
    Thank you, I checked her crop first thing this morning and it was empty. Also did a swab with a q-tip in her throat and didn't find any gapeworm so ruling that out. She is eating and drinking, but otherwise just stands there with her butt tucked under. We checked and she doesn't seem to be egg bound.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

What do you feed?? Treats included...

Cheers!

5. MuckyMeadowFarm

Nov 11, 2013
    Brooks, Maine
    We feed blue seal layer pellets. They've had some scraps recently of yogurt,bread, scrambled egg, and goat's milk. Otherwise, just free range.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

First Chickens can not process Dairy...........!
    Bread is also a No, No......Impacts crops.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by