URGENT! Chicken got injured, possibly lungs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by inermotion, Apr 17, 2012.

1. inermotion

inermotion Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    Im sorry for posting this again but no one replied and I need help.
    We got chickens 5 days ago and there was one that had a wry neck so we set it aside in a box with a heat lamp and was doing good but my 4 year old nephew got into my room while I was downstairs and he had to of squeezed her, not really sure what he did, he wouldn't tell anyone and was crying but the chicken was just laying on its back gasping/gaping for air. I held it for awhile and stopped gulping and gaping for air, now its just lieing there sleeping, it can move around and eat every once in awhile but not much. Is she going to be ok? is there anything I can do other than the vet? I cant afford to see a vet rite now. She eats but cant drink very well, when she drinks she starts gaping and gasping again, I think it mite be a lung injury possibly, if I gave her antibiotics would it help? I have an inhaler too if that mite work? Please im desperate!

2. zookeeptd

zookeeptd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    North Mississippi
    I'm new myself so no help but I do hope all will be ok. I'm sorry you're going thru all that.

3. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I am so sorry for you.... I too am not sure what to tell you. She was most likely squeezed.

Probably broken bone(s), puncture(s), Internal bleeding.

If it is internal there is not a lot you can do.

If she is suffering I would put her down. I am so sorry. [​IMG]

4. inermotion

inermotion Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    She just passed away an hour ago, I did everything I could. I think it was internal bleeding. Grr.. I got so attached to her, was looking forward to teaching her to walk, she loved me so much for saving her life from the others, I just wish she could have lived longer and that I would have put her up higher somewhere. Was kind of my fault. Lesson learned. grief is kicking in but it wont last long, It will be better in 2 days. Was my very first chicken.

5. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I am So Sorry......We all learn things everyday....Some lessons are worse than others. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by