URGENT - Chicken Got Tangled in Fly Trap - Covered in Goop and Bleeding Beak

ChattyChickens4Life

OCD (Obsessive Chicken Disorder)
Oct 1, 2017
Hi everyone. I'm very nervous for my chicken, so I'm going to get straight to the point. We recently hung up those sticky fly trips to try and handle our fly problem down by the coop. For the past 3 days, we haven't had any problems until about 30 minutes ago, my parents and I heard loud squawking. We went down to check on them, and noticed one fly strip on the ground covered in feathers. I brought out the EE who got tangled (but escaped) from the coop. My dad went and checked and found our other EE still tangled in one. We got the strip off her, and she has no further injuries. We also removed all the strips from in the coop.
As for our other one, Muffin, we noticed that not only was she covered in fly pheromones, but her beak was severely bleeding. We took her inside and began to wash of the sticky stuff. It was quite stubborn, and she was getting stressed, so we took her out and decided to work on her beak. There were some hanging bits that I presume were pieces of beak that fell off. We wiped it down with a paper towel and then applied flour to try and stop the bleeding.
As of now, the beak looks much better but is still slightly bloody. She drank some water, but refused to eat some torn up lettuce we offered her. She pecked once, but it seemed to cause her pain. I am aware that the quicks of beaks and claws bleed a lot, but we are still worried as she seemed in pain and stressed.
I'd love your thoughts on that. Also, if anyone has ideas on how to get sticky fly pheromones off her, we would appreciate that too. Any advice on treating her is much appreciated. Thank you all for your time! We are praying for her.

Also, Muffin is currently inside in a dog crate we set up for her. We checked on the other chicken who got caught and it seemed that she was alright to stay outside.

Sounds like this is going to be a tough one ! I suggest possibly looking online for solutions and I don’t know if goo gone is animal safe but that can get sticky things off. Also keep soaking her and grab some pet soap to help wash her off. As for the beak it will take time to heal and try to keep her hydrated at least. If drinking is easier make a little “smoothie” for her using her food and water mashed up or even fruit or vegetables

Sounds like this is going to be a tough one ! I suggest possibly looking online for solutions and I don’t know if goo gone is animal safe but that can get sticky things off. Also keep soaking her and grab some pet soap to help wash her off. As for the beak it will take time to heal and try to keep her hydrated at least. If drinking is easier make a little “smoothie” for her using her food and water mashed up or even fruit or vegetables
maybe using the crumbles instead of pellets for her would help

I had the same thing happen to my favorite Black Star years ago. She got wrapped up in a sticky fly strip and was screaming bloody murder. I had a tough time removing the fly strip. Fortunately it wasnt wrapped around her head or beak. Lesson learned, no more fly strips.
You'll have to use some type of solvent to carefully remove the glue, then use Dawn dish detergent to remove the solvent. Be careful with the solvent and avoid the eyes.

As far as feeding her, use a deep bowl. Put chicken layer crumbles in the bowl and add lukewarm water to the crumbles making a watery gruel for her to eat. The nerves in the beak are very sensitive to pain, cold and heat. That's why lukewarm water is recommended. The deep bowl will prevent her from pecking the bottom causing pain. The gruel will make it easier for her to eat and swallow. Continue this until her beak completely heals. It will regrow and it will take time, have patience. Also, it would be best to put her in a crate or cage while she's on the mend.

Thank you all so much! She is currently in a dog crate inside our home, and I'm just about to go check her. @dawg53 do you have a type of solvent you suggest? Also, I've heard dawn dish soap strips chickens of the natural oils on their feathers. Is that ok?

Thank you all so much! She is currently in a dog crate inside our home, and I'm just about to go check her. @dawg53 do you have a type of solvent you suggest? Also, I've heard dawn dish soap strips chickens of the natural oils on their feathers. Is that ok?
Unfortunately you might have to use something like mineral spirits. Whatever solvent you use, use it sparingly because they are toxic. It might be best to let the beak heal first, and stop bleeding if it hasnt already stopped before attempting to remove the glue unless it is prohibiting her from eating.
If you remember oil spill commercials on TV, Dawn dish detergent was used to remove oil covered wild birds; pelicans ducks etc...and they survived. Besides, you will only be using it to remove the solvent that you'll be using, nothing more.

Unfortunately you might have to use something like mineral spirits. Whatever solvent you use, use it sparingly because they are toxic. It might be best to let the beak heal first, and stop bleeding if it hasnt already stopped before attempting to remove the glue unless it is prohibiting her from eating.
If you remember oil spill commercials on TV, Dawn dish detergent was used to remove oil covered wild birds; pelicans ducks etc...and they survived. Besides, you will only be using it to remove the solvent that you'll be using, nothing more.
Alright, thank you. The bleeding has stopped and from what I can tell, the top layer of the top beak was scraped off. We will probably wait for that to heal before cleaning the goop. How long do beaks take to heal?

We tried giving her a mash, but she completely denied it. I forced her to take a few sips of water, but she turned that away too. I decided to get her this treat we like to make them out of eggs and yogurt. She loved that. However, when she drinks/eats it (it's liquid) it sounds lie she's gulping. Almost like the chugging sound of lots of water going down a blocked drain. I can also here her breathing, and it sounds a little snuffly. Is this normal? Thanks again for all your help!!!

I would try coconut oil to remove the sticky stuff then bathe her in dawn original dishwashing liquid to remove the oil.
Dawn is completely safe to use on birds.
Thank you! I will try this out before using any solvent. If we can fix the problem without toxic chemicals, I would greatly prefer that.

Back
Top Bottom