URGENT chicken has breathing problems--Good news update!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedheadErin, Jan 25, 2012.

1. RedheadErin

RedheadErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Hi, I'm Erin's husband Ted. Im having a problem with my sons chicken. Today when we got home, my sons chicken is "breathing hard" It sounds like a cross between rales and a cluck. The chicken sticks her head out to inhale, she sneezes every so often. This is my sons pet chicken, Bridget. She has been mostly inside lately and has been wearing "chicken diapers" for the last couple of days. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Hmmmm.. why don't you try a search on this forum for "respiratory infection" and see if your symptoms match any of them. I don't have ANY experience with respiratory probs (yet - I'm sure my time is coming - my girls have been experiencing all kinds of stuff). Maybe this "bump" will get you some responses! good luck!

3. lucky123

lucky123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Cullman,Al
    Have you wormed it? How old is it? Is it eating and drinking?

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Vet Rx might help, or a tiny bit of Vicks on the nares. Are they clogged(nose holes)?

5. RedheadErin

Nov 30, 2011
    Hi, this is Erin again. Brigid is apparently past egg laying age, has not been recently wormed, and is not eating or drinking. I just got back from the emergency vet. They gave her fluids and some shots, and sent me home with meds for bacteria, fungus, and virus.

They want me to follow up with a local vet tomorrow, only there are none. They say she may need to be tube fed. She should also have oxygen. They want me to hospitalize her, but cost and the distance involved make it impossible.

Right now I'm going to search the thread for ideas, but if anybody has some clue about how I can care for this poor little sick bird, please tell me. I am not entirely sure she is going to make it through the night.

6. RedheadErin

Nov 30, 2011
    Guess what! After I signed off last night, I went to check on her--and she was drinking water. I had given her half a bagel when we came home, and she had eaten every crumb! I made her a little steam tent with the vaporizer and a blanket. This morning she was standing up on her box, and just ate a piece of squash bread. Her breathing is back to normal, and he eyes are bright and alert. Now THIS looks like our Brigid!

I am going to put her and her vaporizer in a dark, warm bedroom for the rest of the day so she can rest.

*Deep sigh* I feel better now, too!

1 person likes this.
  7. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    So the Vicks helped some, good I hope she makes it:) Deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by