Urgent/Chickens Dying/Need Advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CarolynBIES, Mar 13, 2018.

1. CarolynBIES

CarolynBIES Hatching

Mar 13, 2018
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    The current chicken that is sick is a four year old Ameraucana. She seems a lot thinner than normal. Her breast bone seems to have no meat on it.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Lethargic. She has poop all over her but. She seem to have an air sac full of air where we clean the poop off. She was eating a drinking until today.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    5 days
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    Yes we have lost two other birds. We have a flock of 12 left.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    no.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    We do not know of anything.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Prior to today the bird was drinking and eating. We feed organic lay pellets with a mix of five grain scratch. In addition, they get meal worms as a treat and they are let out periodically to peck in the yard. We have a five gallon waterer that has garlic and vinegar added to the water. We have also been putting out another waterer with electrolytes and probiotics in it since the chicken has become ill.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Some white and more runny than normal. We have not observed blood in any of the stool thus far. It gets stuck to the chickens butt. We clean off all of the poop, but it happens daily.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Providing electrolytes and probiotics in a separate water container. Garlic and vinegar in the water. Organic Durastat(contains oregano) in another water container. We have also given the sick chicken Nutridrench.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    We are concerned that two birds have already died(within the last month) and would like to treat here if possible. We don't think the current sick chicken will make it, but are concerned that the rest of the flock will get whatever it is she has.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    The chicken coop is a 25x10. We have multiple nesting boxes. We provide diatomaceous earth for the chickens to dust in. We have put dried herbs in the nesting boxes. We use pine shavings in the nesting boxes.

KikisGirls likes this.
  2. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Sorry to hear about your sick chickens. I'm certain the health gurus will be along to help. I'm guessing poop pictures will be invaluable also if you can get some.

KikisGirls likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Can you post any pictures of the bottom? Do you really think she has a leaking air sac under the skin, or is it fluid under her vent?

Sorry about your sick chicken and other losses. How long since the others died? What symptoms did they have? Is your hen laying, and did the others lay or have any laying problems? Has you been having extremely cold weather recently?

I have mostly older hens, and I have lost several this winter. They did not lay for a long time, were all skinny, and when I opened their bellies during a necropsy, they all had ascites (fluid in the bellies.)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Wyorp Rock, rebrascora and KikisGirls like this.
  4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I too am sorry she isn't feeling well.

Have you ever wormed your flock?

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    What makes you think it is an air sac? Photos of what you are seeing will really help. Poop getting stuck to the butt feathers often means that there is some abdominal swelling which has altered the angle of the body below the vent (there is normally an overhang but swelling means the tissue under the vent is near vertical so poop runs down and sticks to the feathers) and means that poop is no longer dropping free of the feathers below.
    It may be that this bulge that you believe is an air sac is causing that problem.

Wyorp Rock, KikisGirls and Eggcessive like this.
  6. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    For info mixing scratch with pelleted feed is not a good idea. Scratch, much as they love it, is low in protein and high in carbs which can lead to the bird developing fatty deposits that can cause a number of health issues, some potentially fatal. They will also bill out the pellets to get to the scratch and some birds will consume more than their fair share.... particularly dominant birds making the health risks higher. If you must feed scratch then throw it down in the run and make them work for it, ie "scratch" amongst the bedding to find it or switch to scattering a few meal worms which are a healthier alternative.

KikisGirls likes this.
  7. CarolynBIES

CarolynBIES Hatching

Mar 13, 2018
    Upon checking on her this afternoon the "air sac" has seemed to go down. This is what her butt looks like now? Do you think this could be vent gleet?

Attached Files:

KikisGirls likes this.
  8. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    If you can bath her and get her cleaned up and then take a close up photo of her vent then it might be possible to say if she has vent gleet but not from that photo. You are looking for angry inflamed skin in and around the vent and the discharge will usually have a smell.

Wyorp Rock and KikisGirls like this.
  9. Kailey the Animal Lover

Kailey the Animal Lover Chirping

Mar 13, 2018
    I would bath her and rub hazelnut oil or any other soft oil into her vent. Then gently rub her abdomen.

10. CarolynBIES

CarolynBIES Hatching

Mar 13, 2018
    It is inflamed and does have a strong scent. What do you recommend to help her other than that? She is extremely lethargic. I gave her some NutriDrench.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: