urgent- chicks are just not well

MaryKreindel

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 3, 2012
I have 9 girls mostly 2 a couple almost 3 - white rock, red rock, black and hybrids - laying an egg a day until late August when production started to dwindled until now - nothing at all. They appear as if they are molting but I think they should be past this. Some have lost feathers all over and are growing them back but others are almost bleeding. along the necks, vent and wings.

I've fed them layer pellets and fresh water daily + the neighbors give them BAGS of stuff like kitchen scraps including breads, vegies, pasta, fruit. I let them free range a couple evenings a week. Their poop is pretty normal unless they had a lot of fruit.

They act fine, they eat fine and they walk around fine but they do not look well at all. Any thoughts?

I do not see lice or mite indications but what about Gape worm? I'll try cutting back to only grain and greens, no free ranging and DE food grade + vitamins. How long before I sould expect a response - days - weeks?

Some take a while to molt. Mine take forever...Some look naked. Others just molted a bit but its been probably two months or more and just today I got three eggs....from 21 hens.

Cutting back on their free ranging isn't going to do anything positive for them. You might try cutting the layer ration in half and substituting a higher % protein feed for it. It should help them with the moult. Did you check for gape worms? If they have them you will see them if you look down their throats.

Mary, take a picture of your flock. They should not be bleeding from molt. Some scraps are OK , bag of them are not. Sometimes good intentioned leftovers have molds that are bad. For now I would clean out all the food dishes and water. Give fresh water with ACV. 3 tsp in one gallon. Feed layer pellets and only layer pellets for now. Post a picture of your flock. You need to do an exam on them. Look at them. Feel the bone structure. Are they thin? Fat? Have they gotten thinner or fatter than you remember? Do you deep litter your coop? Do you offer fresh greens or whole grains? How are they acting? Watch them and see if they are acting different.

Cutting back on their free ranging isn't going to do anything positive for them. You might try cutting the layer ration in half and substituting a higher % protein feed for it. It should help them with the moult. Did you check for gape worms? If they have them you will see them if you look down their throats.
I read something that said gapeworms were not always visible, but I haven't ever had to deal with them.

Back
Top Bottom