Urgent! considering taking in a pair of chicks, advice!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kiwiheather, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Kiwiheather

Kiwiheather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hi I have a dog and two bunnies on an acre in the middle of suburbia in south Florida. My yard is not fenced and backs up onto 2 acres of woods. A kid where I work has a sister who was given 2 chicks for her bday (WHO DOES THAT). They live in an apartment and have NO yard. They are asking me to take them. I have NO experience and am very concerned about predators. My husband is adamant that I do not take them so he will be of no help. This kid says that they a a month old and they have had them in a laundry basket for a week. I am positive that they don't have proper feed. Please any advise is appreciated. I can not spend a ton of $ or risk divorce, lol! I have horses (not on my property) so I am not afraid of working with animals but I am completely in the dark here. I am allowed livestock where I live so that's not an issue.

2. Kiwiheather

Aug 20, 2011
    Oh and he said one is a girl and one is a boy... Not sure how true but dubious about that as well! Thanks!

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    So long as your husband doesn't leave you over it, please rescue them, if for only long enough to find them a new home. The food they need can be bought in bags as small as 5 lbs for only 6.00 at Tractor supply, use pine shavings for bedding, and if you don't want to buy a waterer, use a shallow bowl with some small rocks to keep them from "swimming" or drowning in it. If they have any significant feathers yet they shouldn't need a heat light. Maybe if someone on here lives close enough they can give them a new home!

Oh, and : [​IMG]

4. Kiwiheather

Aug 20, 2011
    Thank you, that's more than I knew already! And after 20 years, don't think he'll leave [​IMG]. Where should I keep them though? I have a covered patio that my bunnies have the run of, if I put them in a kiddie pool would they be alright? I have a feed store not far and can get the food, no problem but I am so nervous about them growing quickly and not knowing what to do with them!

5. LisaAnnW

LisaAnnW Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    Sounds like you live close to me. Are you near Grif's in Davie (Davie road & Griffin) - they have everything you need. If you already have horses, then you must like animals. If you've never raised chickens before, you're in for a treat. The most challenging part will be outsmarting the predators. I'm in the process of building a new run and coop...or is that Fort Knox? Looks like it. Since they're young you can keep them inside for now. Two chickies should be easy, and the people on BYC are very helpful, but warning: it's addictive. As far as your husband goes: mine hates chickens too, but I have twenty-eight, and I'm getting two more tomorrow...I remind him I could be doing worse things with my time and money! Good luck, and keep us posted.

6. montanaSarah

montanaSarah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    some people use a small dog kennel or igloo for shelter- they need to be safe from weather and predators at night, and that would be something you wouldn't have to construct yourself. if they're little they need to be on starter crumbles and water. if they free range you need to give them grit, which you can also find at murdocks. i am new to chickens, but so far think they are the easiest pet to own and i think you'll love it once you get them! good luck [​IMG]

7. Kiwiheather

Aug 20, 2011
    Quote:Lol Lisa glad I am in good company!! I am in parkland so closer to hole in the wall feed store in delray! What happens if one is a boy and ones a girl though? Does it matter? I understand the fort knox reference as my garbage has to be kept in one, thanks to raccoons and coyotes! If I take them and it doesn't work out, you can have more next week as well haha!

8. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    You said you have rabbits that roam freely on the porch. do you have a cage for them for transport or company? If that cage is rarely used and you don't see a need for it in the near future you could put the two little ones in there. as far as the one boy one girl it is of course a 50/50 shot but more realistically unless they are sex link or sexed at a hatchery not quite so likely to get a male female pair. for some reason it just normally doesn't work out that way when picked at random. The little ones will not be too much work. heat bulb if they aren't totally feathered out feed and water. Taking care of horses myself these little things are cake compared to the horses.

9. LisaAnnW

LisaAnnW Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    Chicks jump surprisingly well, so I don't think they'll stay in a kiddie pool. For now, even a big box or laundry basket with a screen or something on top will do. We have a stack of cages from Petsmart in the garage for young ones, sick ones, hurricanes, etc., that I think are really meant for guinea pigs and rabbits. Those run on average $40, and can really help in a pinch. A screen porch can be easily broken into by a raccoon, so the garage is a safer bet for nighttime, and the porch will be great for the day. Your husband will be so thrilled to have critters in "his" garage! I know mine is;)

I agree with Big Daddy's Gurl: the chickies need to be rescued, but the nearest Tractor Supply is up near Lake Okeechobee. They do mail order, but even the Wal-Mart on Flamingo and Griffin carries some poultry supplies now. Lots of people in this area have chickens - you'll be in good company!

Quote:

10. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    They should be feathered in at a month & don't really need a light . The weather is warm still where I am . Another little rabbit hutch with solid bottom covered in pine shavings enclose the legs they got a small run . Good temp home til you can find better. food & water they good. An old dog house will work as well. They don't really ask for much . Some starter grower food they will flourish.3 pallets would make a nice little house. I do alot of stuff for free , recyle , reuse a lot of stuff even old doggie doors. [​IMG] You never know your husband may even decide he likes them esp if he thought about they give you breakfast. [​IMG] Good luck with your decision. A little info for you. At least you won't make a decision without knowing how to care for them . The basics anyway. If you visit chicken 101 on this site you will find alot of answers fast to help you. prediator deterents hardware cloth is your friend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by