URGENT: Coop Fire - Smoke Inhalation - What should I do for her??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by urbanchickchick, Nov 3, 2013.

1. urbanchickchick

urbanchickchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    We had a huge coop fire last night. Coop burned to the ground, but all the hens got out. Today, one is really struggling with breath, is wheezy and very still. Eyes mostly closed. Occasionally, she looks better for a few seconds, but then goes back into labored breathing and stillness. All the other girls are around her mothering over her. What should I do? I read maybe an inhaler to the side as she inhales? Also, should I bring her in, or would the just stress her more? I don't know if we should ride it out or put her down...poor thing. Delilah is about 1 1/2 years old.

2. rir crazy

rir crazy New Egg

Mar 31, 2013
    Fresh air is all you can do. Keep her dry as well. Offer plenty of water. Good luck.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I would bring her inside,any residual particles in air will be irritating to her lungs. With fires,you are inhaling carbon monoxide which decreases your body's oxygen supply. Keep her hydrated as this keeps the mucus in lungs thinner so they can clear out any particles.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  4. urbanchickchick

urbanchickchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    I have her inside, wrapped in a towel. She's sleeping. I tried the inhaler to the side of her beak on inhale, and it may have worked...a little bit. She isn't gasping as badly, but I can't tell if her breath is just getting more shallow. : (

I've given her several droppers full of water, but don't want to choke/drown her with too much. How much do you think that she needs?

5. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Poor girl, :( hope she gets better.

6. rir crazy

rir crazy New Egg

Mar 31, 2013
    I would give her a few drops before you go to bed then resume in morning every couple hours. Chickens normally only drink a couple beak fulls at a time.

7. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    If she is still haveing problems take her to your nearest fire station. ask thme if the will give her a little bit of oxygen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by