Urgent CORID Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CarlaS, Aug 14, 2011.

1. CarlaS

CarlaS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    Yesterday, helpful folks on the forum suggested our bantam chickens may have Cocci. (reference CarlaS.) We went to the two local farm store co-ops and neither carry CORID. We were sold Duramycin-10 but I question this is the right medicine as there is no reference to Coccidosis. Does anyone know? I can buy Corid online, but it would likely arrive too late.

Thank you in advance.

2. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You are correct and the duramycin won't help for coccidia. You can treat with Sulmet instead. It is harder on the birds, but more effective on more strains of cocci. Make sure you follow the directions on the bottle. Try typing in Sulmet on the search bar and see what other folks on here have said. I usually try Corid first since it is easier on the birds, but if you can't get it you don't have much choice. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. haemony

haemony Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2011
    WV
    Where are you located? What are their symptoms? I don't think Duramycin is the right medicine for cocci but I am no expert. Give them plain yogurt (can't hurt and will probably help) to coat their tummies and buy a little time but if it's cocci they need to be medicated asap. I had a cocci scare recently and now will always keep various meds on hand just in case. I am convinced that the yogurt helped until I could locate Corid. Had to drive out quite far to get it. I would use Corid for cocci although there is another med called Sulmet. I have not used it. Corid is usually in the cattle section. Is there anyone near you who keeps cattle, sheep, or goats. They might have it.

4. haemony

haemony Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2011
    WV
    Oh good. Someone else beat me to it and probably knows better than I do. Good luck to you and your birds. Mine are all fine now. Hopefully yours will be too.

5. CarlaS

CarlaS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    Thank you all for your kind and speedy replies. Could not find Corid or Sulmet but the chickens seem to be recovering with vitamins and electrolytes. I'm hoping they will recover and will order some corid to have on hand in the future. Again, MANY THANKS!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by