URGENT: Coturnix hen with eye pecked!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by iheartquail, Aug 16, 2013.

1. iheartquail

iheartquail Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    Help- I have a quail hen (coturnix) that I found with a pecked eye. I culled the aggressor (He went mental today or something, it got ugly fast and he was hurting everyone else) and I have her in a cat carrier in my living room. The eye looks pretty bad.
    Is there anything I should do? How do I keep the eye clean? Can I apply neosporin to the eye? I also have some medicated feed from when they were chicks with a tetracylline type drug, would this help keep infection away?
    I'm sure this all has been answered in other threads, if so, I apologize in advance but I'm kind of in a rush. Thanks!!!

2. dynodon

dynodon Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2012
    I HAVE HAD THAT happen several times . I isolated the victim and covered the whole area with 10% cortisone cream .That's all I had on hand at the time . It worked great .In a couple days she was fine .I even had one male scalped ,not just feathers but skin and all .You could see his skull .I used the same stuff on him , and he got ok . I call him baldy haha . He grew new skin , but no feathers on his entire head .

3. iheartquail

Oct 8, 2012
    Her eye looks pecked out :(

4. chrishw

chrishw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    Sorry, it happens but it sucks when it does. I'd do the same thing- cortisone and loving care even if she is missing the eye. 'I'd be a little worried about aggression when/if she gets reintroduced.

Best luck with to you and her!

You could make her a little patch and she will be the most popular pirate in the flock!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. iheartquail

Oct 8, 2012
    But what about infection? Cortisone is just for inflammation.

6. quailtrail

quailtrail Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Poland Maine
    Had the same thing happen early this summer. I removed the aggressor. I lost one of the girls and the other survived. Her eye looked pecked "out" as well but after a few days looked great again. I did the neosporin and fed her some yogurt. Within a week she looked great!!!! Quite hardy little things

7. iheartquail

Oct 8, 2012
    By some miracle she did not lose the eye!!!!! No idea how because it resembled a pecked peeled grape when I found her. Then it swelled shut. But today it's mostly open and I think the eyeball is intact!!!

8. quailtrail

quailtrail Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Poland Maine
    Great news!!!! Very similar to what happened here too.

9. chrishw

chrishw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    Yippee! I see you've had some eye-opening news here! Lucky bird- I've got one (or more) getting frisky myself, time to get the troublemakers into a holding pen.

I usually have used a perscription silver balm (leftovers from a table saw accident) and I'm sold on it. The wound care people in the hospital has told my DW that its about the best for anything. But, In the eye I'd just use some of the powder antibiotic that you mix with water from tractor supply- duramiticin? Duromiticin?

10. iheartquail

Oct 8, 2012
    Initially I put neosporin on the eye, but then switched to colloidal silver. That seemed to heal it up fast. She might be able to rejoin her crew tomorrow. I had her out in the "playpen" (I put my birds in a pen on the grass during the day so they get some play time and back in their secure pen at night. Hope she does ok, poor little Miss is getting bored in the cat carrier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by