Urgent Crop Problems

posey

Songster
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Coastal NC
Hi All:
I have been reading through all of the postings about solving crop problems but still have a few questions.

I have a 4 month old Silkie Hen who is having crop problems since I discovered it yesterday. Her crop was the size of a baseball. I massaged it and turned her upside down so that the stuff would empty from her mouth. I started her on ACV water and yogurt.
She has been off feed since discovering this condition. I got her crop size down to that of a clemantine by the time she went to roost.

This morning it was the slightly larger about the size of a tennis ball. Today, she ate about 2 1/2 Tablespoons of yogurt and 1 1/2 Tablespoons of baby food peaches with olive oil stirred in.

She has runny, watery poo with brown and green and yellow strands in it.

I have been massaging her crop frequently. I have a piece of bread soaked in olive oil but she won't touch it.

She is alert but is not walking very well. Sits most of the time. She is isolated. She chirps when I am with her. She tolertates the crop massage well and even the upside down thing with no fighting. The crop is soft and squishy and easily palpitated and massaged.

Questions:
1. I understand that oil is important. How can I get the olive oil into her?

2. I have read posts about flushing the crop but I am concerned about getting the liquid into the crop and not into the lungs. Anyone, how do I accomplish that - liquid or oil into the crop only?

3. Is there a way to tell if the gizzard is impacted and preventing the crop from emptying? God I hope it's not that.

4. Are there specific movements I should be doing with the crop massage?

Any help greatly appreciated

Questions:
Try an eye dropper or a syringe without a needle on it like what is used in feeding baby parrots

2. I have read posts about flushing the crop but I am concerned about getting the liquid into the crop and not into the lungs. Anyone, how do I accomplish that - liquid or oil into the crop only?
Easiest to have someone hold her facing you. With right hand point the syringe towards the chickens right side of throat. On her left side is her wind pipe.

3. Is there a way to tell if the gizzard is impacted and preventing the crop from emptying? God I hope it's not that.
Sorry I don't know.

I just kneed it if you are wanting her to expel the liquid have her right side up and press her crop upwards while gently squeezing

Best of luck keep us posted.

I don't have the guts to turn a hen upside down and risk aspiration into the lungs. I figure with crops you have some time to massage, keep the calorie count up with oil, diced tomatoes and diced cukes and to develop a massage technique, which they like.

I offer these suggestions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-sick-hen

The easiest way is to use a dropper and drip it slowly on her beak, avoiding the nares. This stimulates her sipping reflex and she will drink for you. Give about 5 ml if possible per sitting and shield yourself with rags or a towel.

I would never try this.

The gizzard might be stuffed with stones if you have offered something new like a new hen grit, recently. This too can be reduced with acidic foods, and by adding acid cider vinegar into her water- ablut 1 Tbsp per quart.

Pinching until you can almost feel your finger and thumb touch- works best for fibre impactions and after getting some oil in there.

Sniff her beak- if a bad odor, that is sour crop and requires a different approach.

Last edited:
Thank ya'll for posting.
Lynn, yes when she vomits it smells really bad and so does the runny poo. So we must be dealing with a Sour Crop then, yes?

What is the procedure for Sour Crop?

I only tip her over slightly, just enough for the yuky stuff to come out and not go into her lungs.

I guess I have been doing the massage correctly. There is no hard mass in her crop. It is very squishy and pliable like a water balloon. When I massage I can feel small solid objects that I think are cracked corn. Once I have seen them come up out of her but I know that there must be about 10 maybe 15 more pieces in the crop.

Bless her little heart, she is such a good patient. She has never squaked or pecked at me through all of this poking, prodding, vomiting etc. She's my dear little Coco Channel.

Looking forward to the next responses.
Thank you all
Posey

Hi Posey,
What seemed to work best for me was a crop bra and feeding apple sauce mixed with ACV , crumbles, yogurt & probiotics. I nuked the apple sauce to take the chill off. Be sure it is not hot as it will burn the crop.

I've been treating this chick for a while and it wasn't till I did the above that I seen an improvement. I even gave it nystatin which is what my Avian vet gave when I was raising parrots, but no go.

Thank you Shaggys girl:
Please tell me what a crop bra is? I am doing the other things listed but she doesn't have much appetite right now. I am trying to get it in her with an eye dropper though.

She just had a good sized bowl movement, totally runny but at least stuff is coming out.

Thanks

Shaggys Girl:
That post with the crop bra is great. I have vet wrap so I can certainly make one in a jiffy.

I just mixed up some applesauce and ACV water and got some into her using a dropper.

What about those cracked corn kernels in her crop? Will they start to break down and pass through to the gizzard?

I'm glad that she had a bowl movement about 10 minutes ago because she hadn't had one for a few hours.

Can anyone tell me if I should be doing anything differently since she doesn't have a large mass in her crop. It is soured should I do anything else?

Blessings all,
Posey

Quote:
Glad the crop bra post might help, I think if you get the crop moving the corn kernels will pass through.
Unless you feel it should be emptied there is not much more to do. I'd let her fast over night then make a mash in the AM with the apple sauce and crumbles like posted above.
The bowel movement is good
fl.gif
for you
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom