Urgent: Dead chicken in incubator with live chicken

Jul 11, 2017
Maine
Hello,

Yesterday was day 21 and my hatch has been all wonky. I had one healthy chicken come early she's already in the brooder then these two eggs started to pip yesterday and they both seemed healthy one was taking a long time though. Around 1am I saw it came out completely but it had what looked like the yolk attached I left it alone and when I woke up it was dead.

Since it's completely out of its shell I worry the other chickens might try to eat it and it will smell.

The other eggs are due so I hate to keep opening the incubator but I also think I made a mistake and put the eggs tip side up so I may not get that many after all.

Do I take the dead one out?

Attachments

• IMG_20210409_063836635.jpg
    IMG_20210409_063836635.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210409_063826624.jpg
    IMG_20210409_063826624.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210409_063844483.jpg
    IMG_20210409_063844483.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 7
Yes remove the deceased one.

I removed it.. so sad because at 1am it was alive I thought it was going to make it if I just left it alone to absorb the yolk but honestly I think my incubator might have been over heating even though it displayed 99.5 as the temp it felt way warmer and the other chicken who was alive was breathing labored and looking not to hot so I opened up another air hole and the other one is doing fine. I ordered new hygrometers and they are coming in today

I removed it.. so sad because at 1am it was alive I thought it was going to make it if I just left it alone to absorb the yolk but honestly I think my incubator might have been over heating even though it displayed 99.5 as the temp it felt way warmer and the other chicken who was alive was breathing labored and looking not to hot so I opened up another air hole and the other one is doing fine. I ordered new hygrometers and they are coming in today
How are the chickies?

Do you also have an independent thermometer? That's arguably more important than the hygrometer.

Back
Top Bottom