Urgent: Does this duckling look distressed?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lugh, May 23, 2018.

1. Lugh

Lugh Chirping

Mar 4, 2014
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    Hi all,

I've got a few muscovy eggs that are on day 32, one of which has been externally pipped for 40 hours. She hasn't made any progress in a long while, and on a previous hatch, I lost a duckling in similar circumstances. I peeled back the shell a bit so that she could help herself hatch (leaving the outer membrane intact), but looking into the shell it looks like the inner membrane is stuck to her. Picture attached. Should I help this duckling get outta dodge?

-Lugh

Attached Files:

2. Golden Brahma 64

Golden Brahma 64 Songster

Apr 28, 2018

Hope this helps

3. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    I go slower than the video, using water on a q-tip tip stretch the membrane a bit at a time. I don't have the confidence to feel ok about seeing that much blood!

WVduckchick and Golden Brahma 64 like this.
  4. Lugh

Lugh Chirping

Mar 4, 2014
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    So you think I should intervene at this stage, then? The blood vessels scare me.

Golden Brahma 64 likes this.
  5. Golden Brahma 64

Golden Brahma 64 Songster

Apr 28, 2018
    If you’re worried about accidentally stabbing it then just peel off bits of the egg around where the beak is and put it back in the incubator, it should not be taking this long so do something at least. Try or let it die!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I do not agree with that video! The part she said was shrinkwrapped is just the normal membrane from the air cell end. And agree with Rural, she went way too fast.

@Lugh I wouldn't help any more yet. If you decide to, just peel the outer shell that is covering the air cell (only what is not attached to the inner membrane), moisten the membrane with Vaseline or coconut oil and wait some more.

Wyorp Rock and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Sue S

Sue S Chirping

Mar 7, 2018
    Pa
    I had to help 2 of mine that got shrink wrapped, I used coconut oil & Q-tips & lightly covered the membrane & SLOWLY pulled back the shell/membrane a little at a time them put back in incubator wait a few minutes if it was still unable to get out then repeated the process, there might be a little blood but I would rather see a small amount of blood than let it die. Goodluck

9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Just to remind everyone, this is a Muscovy duckling, only on day 32. We don't want to rush that baby out. I'm very hands-on also, but patience is still necessary.

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    IMO, it needs more time. I see too many veins, especially this big one. If assisted more I fear this duckling could bleed out.
    egg_assist_1.png

Last edited: May 23, 2018

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by