URGENT.......Dog attack, chicken seriously injured...nerve damage?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, May 5, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    a local has just been walking past and let her dog off the leash, its sprang in the field and got one of our chickens [​IMG] as you can imagine im mortified (this is the second time its happened in 3 weeks...darn irresponsible dog owners. the last chicken was killed instantly but this one is still alive and i dot know what to do. our 'local' vet is a 2 hour drive into the city and 'doesnt really do' chickens (whatever that means)

anyhow she has no tail left, its all pulled out, large puncture wound on the back, and a HUGE chunk missing under her left wing (you can see inside her [​IMG]) her left leg is paralysed, she cant move it or bare weight on it, the farmer has just been over and said the dog has severeved the nerves/muscle to the leg, and the chicken will not recover.

does anyone know if this is true? my hubby has said to prep her for the pot...its something we intended to do in the future (breed chickens for food) but not something i intended on doing with the 'pet' chickens..or so soon [​IMG]

im devastated. what do i do??

2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    DO NOT EAT THAT CHICKEN!!!! I highly doubt it would be safe to eat her. Who knows what the dog may have had..........better to be safe than sorry.

We need pictures to know if she is never going to recover. It sounds bad, but it's likely she isn't putting weight on it because it hurts. One of my girls done the same because she had bumblefoot.

I've had girls to recover from wounds I thought were to severe. One girl had chunks ripped out of her back, and all of her tail feathers ripped out by aggressive flock members that are now gone. She is now a loved member of my flock that is doing well.

First, you need to clean it thoroughly. Keep her in a dark, warm place so that she doesn't move much. You may need to suture the wound shut if you can, or if it's bleeding too much.

3. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    just uploading pictures, sorry they not so good i dont want to pull her wings about getting pictures. what is safe to bed her on? im worried hay/straw/sawdust will get in the wounds. is an towel or blanket good or is she likely to get caught up in that?

4. For-The-Love-Of-Chickens

For-The-Love-Of-Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Washington State
    We are on day six of a similar attack. She sustained puncture wounds on her neck, a deep deep cut on her tail, and has a big hole in her side right through the skin, and fat, and she sustained a big tear to her muscle. We flushed her wounds first with warm, soapy water. The we flushed with straight hydrogen peroxide. Then we packed everything with neosporin (just the regular- NOT the kind with painkiller). The second day we did the wound flush again with 50/50 water and hydrogen peroxide, started Sovereign Silver in her water and also sprayed on her wounds. We are continuing with neosporin and silver.

Initially after the attack, she was VERY sore. She did not want to move at all. This could be what is wrong with your chicken. If she is a pet, clean her up and give her a chance.

We have her bedded on newspaper. It doesn't stick to her wounds and it is a bit absorbent for the poop.

5. For-The-Love-Of-Chickens

Apr 8, 2009
    Washington State
    My thread with a picture of her wound is called Is This Infected? if you want to see. I have determined that the green is in fact from the silver combining with the neosporin.

6. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    just looked at your pics...wow what a wound!
    these are nowhere near as bad as that....so fingers crossed. but they do look deep. one is about 6cm x3cm wide, god knows how deep but you can see through the layers in there. im most worried about the leg. had a feel for breaks but cant feel anything.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. For-The-Love-Of-Chickens

Apr 8, 2009
    Washington State
    You could splint it to her other leg, or put her in a sling. Search for those terms here as there are lots of people who have done both of those things!

Hope she makes it! Keep us posted!!

8. For-The-Love-Of-Chickens

Apr 8, 2009
    Washington State
    Is it possible it is dislocated? I just looked at your pics again. Maybe feel her good side at the hip area and then feel the other to compare.

9. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    they feel the same, apart from one feels 'thicker', swollen perhaps? around the hip

10. MammaHen4H

MammaHen4H New Egg

May 5, 2010
    Hi, Just joining the chat board today and saw your post. We had a pet chicken attached by a dog, she was my daughters first and she saved her as a chick when she was the smallest of the flock and would not eat and would shiver in the corner and not go under light due to the other chicks. My daughter would sit up with her at night and hold her to keep her warm and get her to eat out of her hand or shu the others away so she could eat.
    She was attached at just about a year old. Her complete back was missing all feathers and was "hamburg". I came home from work with feathers every where and a crying teenager holding Peanut with blood ever where else.

We washed her down with clean water (clean face cloth soaked in water and rung out), than my daughter placed Hydr. Peroxid on her. We continued this for a few hours. We moved her into the garage and placed her in a small cage, (she could turn around if she wanted to but that was it) so limited movement. My daughter nursed her with anti-biotic cream and peroxid. I really thought she would die BUT 2 yrs later she is happy and healthy. It was a long process and she was in the garage for many months (6 months) before we would try her out side. winter set in also. My daughter would wash the wounds (flush) them 2x day and place new cream on them.
    we treated her the same you would for a wound that can not be stitched. It was a few weeks before we saw any large improvements in her and many months before her feathers started to return. We did move her into a larger cage after a few weeks. But not until we say some form of healing on her back.

Treat her wounds as top priority. If they get infected it will not matter if the leg is broken or dislocated. Once she is stable from the cleaning of the wounds than focus on the leg. She is most likely in pain, or maybe sprained it. double check for any wounds that you may not see near the leg. Keep her in a small cage to limit her movement and keep her warm / clean. its a lot of work to keep her clean but only time will tell if she will make it. They are very hardy animals. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by