URGENT~ dog question~ fellow Vet Techs or Vets please help!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Funky Feathers, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Hi, my friend's Shih-Tzu had puppies about 9 days ago. Today she discovered she has tapeworms. Ugh. And because she is nursing, she can't have tapeworm meds. What can my friend do to control/get rid of the worms? Should she wean the puppies as early as possible so the dog can have the droncit? Or bottle feed the pups and give the dog Droncit? Anybody know?

2. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    dont wean them early this is also dangerous. i personally would leave the worms untill the pups are old enough i think you can worm them at 6 weeks? i dont think the infestation of worms will get so bad in mom in 6 weeks that it will cause major issues.
    though someone else might be more understanding of this type of thing so i suppose wait for a second or third opinion

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Almost all puppies have worms. That is why they are all dewormed a their first physical exam. It is safe to wait until then!

4. glowgirl

glowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Milwaukie
    You can put diatomaceous earth in her water. It will help a little but probably not totally eradicate them. Diatomaceous earth is safe to drink. I drink it every day for it's anti-inflamatory properties and read that it inhibits internal parasites. Just stir some up in her drinking bowl.

5. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Quote:This will do nothing for the pups however. As with all new things administered to pregnant/nursing creatures, it is best to consult a doctor first.

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Leave them until the puppies are almost weaned. Tapeworms are a nuisance, not life threatening.

7. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Quote:You drink DE? Interesting, I have never heard of this before. Where did you get your info from?

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:You drink DE? Interesting, I have never heard of this before. Where did you get your info from?

there is a lot of info about humans drinking or mixing DE into their daily diet... it is supposed to help with a lot of issues.. the local health food store just started carrying it

9. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:x2. And get rid of the fleas - that's where tapeworms come from to start with.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The pups will not get tapeworms from the dam. Tapeworms must go through an intermediary host - flea/rodent - depending on the type of tapeworm. Feed the b*tch well, make sure she has no fleas and worm her when the pups are weaned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by