Urgent: draining water away from the run??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nutcase, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Somebody help me please! It's rainy season here and I'm afraid that my coop will become a swimming pool like last year. The coop and run are at the back and bottom of the yard where all the water accumulates after a storm. What can I do to make the water flow away from the coop? And if I don't have PVC pipes to use for gutters, what can I use as a substitute? Urgent reply needed.

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    I did look at that but would like to know what others think too.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    We had a similar problem when we got a water turn on our farm (water from a canal once a month with which we flooded our pastures) and our pen got flooded. DH dug a trench and diverted the water past the pen which helped a whole lot. Keeping the water out of your run would be the best solution here, I think. For mud management you can try rubber chips. I read an article about it in a magazine and apparently it works quite well. There's some more info on it here:

Mud management for chicken runs and duck areas. Rubber chippings.

4. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I collect bags of autumn leaves and mix in DE and Stall Dry / Dry-Stall with a hoe.

Edit: Rubber chips?! [​IMG] I wouldn't want my babies pecking at that.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  5. jester8484

jester8484 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    Conowingo, Maryland
    My Coop
    higher ground is the sure solution. if you can get a load of dirt, sand, gravel or whatever you would prefer for the floor. if it's higher then the surounding area you won't have a pond.

if you feel like diging the install some 4" black corregated pipe and run it away from the coop until it hits a lower level.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by