URGENT : drinking and pupil change

Ann1986

Songster
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Thx for reading this! Because its urgent as I want to give my chickens the best care possible.

This morning only 1 of them was out (we have 2). So I looked in their house and the other was standing there, very weird, just standing. And I saw the thing on her head was a little bend down but not totally. Also the chickens pupils were changing size. Small bigger smaller bigger. very weird. Also its beak was hanging open sometimes.
Immediatly I thought: Dehydration!
So I took the water pot and put it to its mouth and it started to drink. After that she came out the house, looked aruond and went back in, abit weak.

I think the chickens actually dont know how to drink from their water pot. I have this plastic white thing where I pour the water in every day, but the weird thing is, often they look but dont drink and then when I spill water on the ground, they start drinking the water I spill on the ground immediatly. As if they just dont know there is water in the pot. So now I put water in all kinds of things lol to make sure they know there is water available.
Also the chicken pood and it was abit diarrhea, not completely flat, and green colour in it.

Anyone familiar with this?

I have no idea, but I hope somebody can up with something.

If you're afraid they don't know water is in the water pot try dipping their beaks into it directly so they know, and can get the hang of it. Maybe put another waterer outside too? Just to make extra sure they know they have water all the time.

Was the chicken looking around? It's pupils may just be adjusting according to the amount of light. Green poo doesn't seem good
hmm.png
I searched it but all I have found is that some birds do not eat/drink enough causing bile to be passed on more. And it seems odd that they wouldn't drink even if they knew where water is. Are the things with water in them more flat like? Or higher like a bucket?

Thx for replying to my post!
smile.png
appreciate it.

The chicken is still in the house and she is laying on her nest and I dipped the beak in the water more and she drank a lot and kept drinking! So I left the water pot with her to drin kfrom it + abit of food. The bottom lid of her eye went up once. Which is abit strange but I think dehydration might cause this. The things with water in are more high , like 7 cm or something. So they are much taller then those things.

You said they act like they don't know how to get to the water or something. Have you ever seen them drink from them? If they, for some reason, aren't finding them, I would do as the other poster said and dip their beak in it so they know.

Yes thats what I did, now they have been drinking. I also fed some grated carrot and apple and she actually ate it!
smile.png
then she went back in her house. The other is outside but does something weird. Sometimes she closes her eyes and then its like she drops abit as if she faints for 1 milisecond and then she opens back her eyes and stands up straight again.

Can this be caused by the heat?
Its pretty warm here now 32 degrees celcius. There is a big tree and bushes which provide shadow. I also placed a flat dish and poured it full of water.

they seem to be doing better.
Give them plenty of fresh cold water, also dipped them in water to cool down and throwing green plants and abit more grated apple. The weatherforcast sais more clouds are comming and rain so thats nice

Lol its so weird but the chickens only seem to drink from the ground. When I go to them, their drinking thing is always pretty full and so I add some on the ground and they immediatly start drinking then.
I put water in a very flat dish which is brown coloured. I put some in a blue taller one, in a white plastic 5 cm high pot ... haha
And then sometimes I place it under their beak and they drink from it and keep drinking.
But otherwise its like they dont know there is water!

Back
Top Bottom