alluzivesducks

Chirping
Jan 17, 2023
England
Ducky had started to externally pip 24+ hrs ago and made some holes!

When i could finally see his beak through the hole i noticed the membrane still covering most of it.
I decided to peel back more of the shell and use a wet Q Tip to damp the membrane and move it so the duckling could breathe properly.

Does this look shrink wrapped? He hasn’t attempted to move around the egg to zip yet but i don’t think he will be able to. He has only been pipping in one area/side of the egg so i’m thinking he is unable to move. I don’t know what to do or think can anyone give me advice please?

Attachments

• 4B9D4FE8-D3B1-49B4-B38E-AB0F1FA03B94.jpeg
    4B9D4FE8-D3B1-49B4-B38E-AB0F1FA03B94.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Ducky had started to internally pip 24+ hrs ago and made some holes!

When i could finally see his beak through the hole i noticed the membrane still covering most of it.
I decided to peel back more of the shell and use a wet Q Tip to damp the membrane and move it so the duckling could breathe properly.

Does this look shrink wrapped? He hasn’t attempted to move around the egg to zip yet but i don’t think he will be able to. He has only been pipping in one area/side of the egg so i’m thinking he is unable to move. I don’t know what to do or think can anyone give me advice please?
Do you mean he externally pipped 24+ hours ago? He doesn't look shrink-wrapped from the picture, and he may just not be ready to unzip yet. Ducklings can take quite a while to absorb the yolk after pipping. Do you notice him making any chewing or chattering motions with his bill?

Do you mean he externally pipped 24+ hours ago? He doesn't look shrink-wrapped from the picture, and he may just not be ready to unzip yet. Ducklings can take quite a while to absorb the yolk after pipping. Do you notice him making any chewing or chattering motions with his bill?
Oh yes mistake, meant externally pip 24+ hours. I think he is still absorbing but i fear he may be stuck in the membrane

This happened to me last year. Baby absolutely couldn’t get out and was weakened. I had no idea what to do and panicked!
I made the mistake of helping by pealing some of the shell and waking him up, finally he got out but his sac was still attached and not absorbed. It was the size of a large grape! Also he couldn’t hold his neck up.
I had to make him a little bed and hand feed him, hold him, exercise his neck until it was strong and wait for his sac to absorb.
It took a week of 24 hour care, but he made it and really imprinted with me.
That being said I think he would have died if I didn’t help because he stopped trying to hatch after 36 hours, stopped moving, stopped peeping and stopped moving his beak. He never did zip.
I know that your never supposed to intervene, but at the time I didn’t know that.
But after watching them grow inside their eggs and waiting to see our “babies” it’s almost a maternal thing to do anything to help them. ❤️

The first pic is after I took away some shell. You can see his yolk sac to the left.
Second pic is where he stopped for 36 hours.
Third is him happy and recovered.

Please keep us posted!

Blessings,
Amy

Attachments

• AF25F5A3-0B76-4C2E-BC58-BBC33E903AC3.jpeg
    AF25F5A3-0B76-4C2E-BC58-BBC33E903AC3.jpeg
    417.9 KB · Views: 23
  • AAC5D6F7-040C-4840-AF17-C073A99B6C11.jpeg
    AAC5D6F7-040C-4840-AF17-C073A99B6C11.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 3416A30F-4152-4098-B242-988E70FD76FF.jpeg
    3416A30F-4152-4098-B242-988E70FD76FF.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 18
This happened to me last year. Baby absolutely couldn’t get out and was weakened. I had no idea what to do and panicked!
I made the mistake of helping by pealing some of the shell and waking him up, finally he got out but his sac was still attached and not absorbed. It was the size of a large grape! Also he couldn’t hold his neck up.
I had to make him a little bed and hand feed him, hold him, exercise his neck until it was strong and wait for his sac to absorb.
That being said I think he would have died if I didn’t help because he stopped trying to hatch after 36 hours, stopped moving, stopped peeping and stopped moving his beak. He never did zip.
I know that your never supposed to intervene, but at the time I didn’t know that.
But after watching them grow inside their eggs and waiting to see our “babies” it’s almost a maternal thing to do anything to help them. ❤️

The first pic is after I took away some shell. You can see his yolk sac to the left.

Please keep us posted!

Blessings,
Amy
I just peeled back a bit of the membrane so it’s not wrapped blocking his little nostrils. I’m not going to interfere with him again, i’ll wait however long to see if any progress is made. He was squealing and whistling so loudly seemed as if he was stressed before i peeled it back for him. Now he’s still “munching” to absorb that yolk sack and is able to breathe and move its beak around properly :)

Attachments

• 4ED3D188-EA24-48F2-865D-5E6DB723D947.jpeg
    4ED3D188-EA24-48F2-865D-5E6DB723D947.jpeg
    320.6 KB · Views: 18

Please keep us posted!

Blessings,
Amy
Here’s a few more pictures of “Pip”
You can see where he stopped trying to hatch and see his yolk sac. Poor baby couldn’t stand because it was so large.
He was a true miracle! 💕

Attachments

• 9DA075FB-64D1-490B-8DD9-F440E4FB7482.jpeg
    9DA075FB-64D1-490B-8DD9-F440E4FB7482.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 20
  • A2E68B8E-231A-414D-A60D-F6D04BE0E0C4.jpeg
    A2E68B8E-231A-414D-A60D-F6D04BE0E0C4.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 4BA15888-F293-46D2-A277-0B24ECEB9D71.jpeg
    4BA15888-F293-46D2-A277-0B24ECEB9D71.jpeg
    413.7 KB · Views: 19
I just peeled back a bit of the membrane so it’s not wrapped blocking his little nostrils. I’m not going to interfere with him again, i’ll wait however long to see if any progress is made. He was squealing and whistling so loudly seemed as if he was stressed before i peeled it back for him. Now he’s still “munching” to absorb that yolk sack and is able to breathe and move its beak around properly :)
Let us know if he makes progress!

Back
Top Bottom