Urgent Duck Hatching Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sowellj, Oct 22, 2009.

1. sowellj

sowellj Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2009
    Our class has a R-com Mini with 3 duck eggs in it. They are on day 22 and are due on Wed 28th of next week. The teacher is afraid they may hatch over the weekend and want me to bring them home with me tomorrow. What are the chances they would hatch early? I set them on Sept. 30th at 11:00am. The first whole day would have been Oct 1st. I have a adapter for the car that I can plug them into if I had to take them home. I only live about 10" from school. We are in Florida. I candled them today and most of the 3 shells are dark inside except for an airsac. It looked like there were some veins in them. Not sure. One was moving around. The incubator is so small I put a couple of we cotton balls in it to try and increase the humidity. I can't get a get humidity reading because of the size of the incubator. The temp has been constant at 37. Please advise on what would be the best thing to do. No one even the teacher can get into the school on the weekend.

2. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i'm not sure about the hatching early thing, but i know my aunt who lived in florida said even there with the natural humidity as high as it is she had to mist her duck eggs a couple times a day with a water bottle...
    if you have to take them home for the weekend and you're worried about the temps, if you don't want to worry aboutthe adaptor and plugging them in, what about one of those things that go in the pyrex casserole dishes that you can microave to keep the food warm while it's being transported?? or the lavender herb bag things you pop in the microwave to get warm and put on your neck??
    i was reading a post this morning on a yahoo group where she needed to transport eggs within a few days of hatching, she put them in her bra, then put on a down vest for added insulation... a sweatshirt would probly work.... but body temp is about 98.5 on average, so pretty close to where the eggs need to be...

good luck.. hopefully someone with better answers will come by... lol..
    keep us updated....

3. sowellj

Sep 29, 2009
    Thanks for the info. My other concern was once they do hatch the R-com mini doesn't look big enough for 3 ducklings or even 1 to stand up in. If anyone has one of these please let me know if you have hatched ducks in it before.

4. sowellj

Sep 29, 2009
    Will it harm my ducks if I move the incubator? It is about a 10" drive with a car adapter. R-Com mini

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by