URGENT! Duck was attacked, now lethargic!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChaoticRogue14, Aug 28, 2014.

1. ChaoticRogue14

ChaoticRogue14 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2014
    I'm new to ducks and I'm not sure what to do.
    The night before last, my ducks Strut (rouen) and Jem (pekin) were attacked by something that got into their coop. They're both a bit over two months old and when I looked them over, I noticed Strut had injuries on the neck and Jem had an injury on the wing joint. I treated them both with polysporine and they made it through the night okay. When I lethink them out this morning, they went to their pond but Strut seemed to be lethargic and generally miserable. I tried giving them peas which is a favorite of theirs. Jem pigged out so I have no doubt in my mind that s/he is okay but Strut only picked at a few and I'm not sure s/he even ate those. I tried again with their duck feed and still nothing.
    I'm really worried about Strut and I don't know if this is normal post-attack behavior or if the wounds are infected or what.
    Please, someone help me!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] So sorry to hear about your duck. I'll ask some of my duck owner friends to have a look at your post and advice. Would it be possible for you to take some pics of her wounds, so they can see what they're dealing with? Or just give as much details as possible.

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, mercy.

[​IMG]

If you can get them to a vet, that would be good.

In the meantime and in any case, if you can take a photo that may help us with ideas.

Neck injury - if something clamped its jaws on Strut's neck, that could have caused injury not only outside but inside. The esophagus - or whatever we call it on a duck - could be injured.

I know when a friend had neck surgery, I was told - nothing hot to drink - the esophagus will be inflamed.

So, with that in mind - I would offer Strut something cool. Put ice in their water. Give a very dilute, cool chamomile tea (it is said to be anti inflammatory). Alternate with some Poultry Nutri-Drench in water (it has a few vitamins and some calories).

Start looking into antibiotics. I am no vet or tech or expert, but I would consider finding out more about Duramycin, Tylan, and Penicillin. Those are often available at feed stores and you might consider ordering some online to keep handy anyway for when they get injured on weekends or holidays (because ducks will do that).

…..added…..

Okay, now I have taken a breath, I see we are on the New Members forum. That is fine, and at the same time, we can get more eyes on this thread if you post in the Duck Forum.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

….added more ….

Trauma reactions vary in ducks. Strut may also be having an extreme emotional reaction, could be in shock. In that case, it is really important to keep Strut in an area with the correct temperature, keep water available but do not be surprised if she or he has no interest in food or water for several hours. I am not sure how long to wait before trying to place water (I would go first with water, not food) in the bill.

Let's see if we can get @casportpony on here (she may be asleep based on where I think she is, but she is extremely knowledgeable and helpful).

….added more ….

With any open wound, keep them away from flies. This matters a great deal, as flies will lay eggs in open wounds.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. ChaoticRogue14

Aug 28, 2014
    Thanks so much. I'll look into the vitamins and call for a duck vet if I don't see any improvement.
    On the bright side, Strut was foraging in the grass a bit so that's a good sign. And he's preening a little too right now.
    anyways,I tried taking some pictures but he wasn't really cooperating so they aren't the best but they should do. I suspect a rat was in with them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am so sorry about your duck. Amiga X2 Sounds like an infection to me. I would get her started on some antibiotics. This is about the right time after the injury that it is infecting.

Definitely stop by our Ducks section too for more help from our Duck experts. Amiga has left you with the link as well.

Good luck and I hope you can get her back to good health soon. [​IMG]

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Goes without saying I would get those two into a safer spot overnight till I had dealt with whatever got after them. It will be back. Please please do not let them spend the night in the same shelter unless you have absolutely corrected the problem.

7. ChaoticRogue14

Aug 28, 2014
    I was reading up on antibiotics for ducks and I came across an article that says oregano is a really good natural antibiotic for people, poultry and fowl. I think I'm going to buy a bottle of oregano oil and give it to both of my ducks. As for the flesh wounds, would an antibiotic cream work or does it have to be an oral medication?

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would irrigate the wounds with either a mild saline solution four times a day for several days, or Vetericyn if you can get it. I would clip the feathers away from the wounds so I could get a clear view of how things look. I would keep them away from flies.

Yes, I have already written about the flies but if one has never seen fly strike, one might not feel the urgency.

Anyway, I would follow the irrigation with a dab of antibiotic cream, not ointment (ointment is gooey, doesn't let as much air to the wound).

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your duck. [​IMG] I hope she recovers!

10. ChaoticRogue14

Aug 28, 2014
    Okay. So saline solution would be one part salt to two parts water?
    And any advice on how to keep a duck still while I do this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by