!URGENT! Eggs on way...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by neb, Aug 30, 2010.

1. neb

neb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    South Africa
    Hi Everyone

I have ordered 100 Jumbo Rain Quail Eggs that are arriving tomorrow.[​IMG] I was originally getting a lot less, so I was going to turn by hand, but now he has given me a whole lot for free [​IMG] I need to know how to build a quail egg rack/holder for the incubator. Any ideas??? It must be simple and easy to build in 2 days, but must also be able to last 16 days in an incubator [​IMG]
    I don't need the turning mechanism, I will tilt the rack by hand, I just need the thing to keep the eggs upright. [​IMG]

Pictures will be the easiest to follow. I have all the basics like wire, wood, drill etc. So building is not a problem.
    I have built a really nice wooden incubator which is very stable, all that is missing is the rack. So I need to rush to finish it in 24 hours... [​IMG]

Please reply as soon as possible. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Or else the eggs will be doomed [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks

Neb

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Where did you get the Rain Quail?

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Well, no, they won't be doomed if you don't get a rack made, you'll just have a lot of hand turning to do.

Could you just leave them in the shipping egg carton, use that as your rack, and prop up one side, then alternate? That might work. Maybe?

4. neb

neb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    South Africa
    Hi <longname> [​IMG]

I am from South Africa, and the guy I am buying them from had the common Coturnix as well as Button quail, but he said that the Rain Quail are the best. I must agree, as they are very beautiful with a white bib like Buttons [​IMG] and they look very big [​IMG], they are supposedly Jumbo and have a good temperament. They seem to be the most common quail in South Africa [​IMG], although they are not native, they are from India I believe. If you have any more questions just ask [​IMG]
    I don't think I can offer to send eggs to you as you are in America. Search Rain Quail on YouTube and there a couple of good videos with their beautiful call.

Neb

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  5. neb

neb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    South Africa
    They are not being posted in a container and I would like a solution to my problem not a Quail Satsuma recipe [​IMG]
    It would be a lot easier to use a egg holder, so if you have any experience in making them, that is all I want. I know they are not going to be doomed, but I don;t have time or space in my incubator to turn 100 quail eggs by hand. [​IMG]

Thanks

Neb [​IMG]

6. neb

neb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    South Africa
    Any ideas? [​IMG]

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    right before I bought a turner I just took a piece of lumber 50mm X 100mm X 300mm ( 2X4X12") and put under one end of the incy when it was time to turn the eggs I moved it to the other end HTH

8. neb

neb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    South Africa
    Thanks Aprophet [​IMG]

How did you hold the eggs, to stop them from rolling? Did you use wire, drilled holes etc.
    I know I can just tilt the whole incubator, but the water will spill. I need to know how t hold the eggs still.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by