URGENT!! Fair coming in half a week!! Need Silkie to gain weight FAST!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GanjaXD, Apr 20, 2009.

1. GanjaXD

GanjaXD Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    My Silkie cockerel is under weight (yes, I do feed him), and fair is on the April 25!! Is there anything simple that I can add to his food that will make him gain half a pound, or a full pound? Please help me! D:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Today is April 20...

3. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Milkshakes?

4. GanjaXD

Nov 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Quote:Please don't give me attitude, not saying that you are, but that's just how I'm reading it. I'm stressed, and I made a typing error. Have some sympathy please.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It is my understanding there are slight allowances for weight as long as it is not too much over or under. I wouldn't worry. Fattening them up quick is really not a good idea for their health.

6. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Maybe some extra cracked corn and veggie oil. When I was in 4-H years ago we used to add some of that to our show cattle feed before fair. Makes them extra shiny. [​IMG]

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Pen him up, worm him, and give him plently of food and water. A little bit of scratch will add some fat, but you don't want him to become obese.

As a side note, silkies are only supposed to weigh a couple of pounds anyways. How do you know he's underweight? Is his breastbone showing? How old is he?

8. GanjaXD

Nov 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Quote:He was born in September of 2008. Yes, his breast bone is showing, way too much [​IMG]. He was sick last month and that's why he's under-weight. He's better now, just skinny.

9. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Mashed up boiled eggs, fresh grated carrots, safflower seeds, sunflower seeds, and wheat germ oil are all good supplements with extra fat.

10. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    It sounds like he may have worms. I would worm him and give him some boiled/scrambled eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by