Urgent!!! few days old chick, started heavy breathing

kritters

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
Ordered 12 orpingtons, received 13.
One DOA and then a sick one died within 48hours, then same morning found one dead that had no signs of ill.
Now today I see one that looks to be panting heavily non stop. With open mouth breathing.

They were all given nutri drench on arrival, then egg yolk and water. Then feed.
Water has had ACV in from day one.

Help appreciated.
Also have one with balding on its back.

Out of 13 orpington chicks having 3 die and now another one looking like it is next. Is this normal?
Dot
Have video just don't know how to upload it.

Last edited:
Do they have an area where the temperature is 90 degrees, and an area to get away from it? Are they drinking? I would make them some chick feed mush with water, nice and soft but not runny. I feel that's always jump started my chicks' appetites. And you may want to grind the chick feed down smaller for the first week. But with the panting, it sounds like heat.

I have done all that. They have a big brooder 3'x5' with the EcoGlow 20 on one end and heat lamp sitting high above for cold mornings. I have been grinding up the feed in my flour grinding on my vitamix. Also made them mash with ground up oatmeal. They have multiple waters and feeders so all get a share. Cleaned daily everything.
Even cover excess poo with paper towels throughout the day so I can keep watch on poo and so they are not getting on them. Been Giving him drops of water by hand, earlier with a little nutri drench.
I'm just at a loss. After the other two died I cleaned top to bottom everything just in case. I'm just surprised this many chicks are sick. This poor guy, it's so tough to watch and not know what to do.
The other just would not eat or drink, hand fed it for two days. Started to do okay then just went down hill fast.

D..

I have done all that. They have a big brooder 3'x5' with the EcoGlow 20 on one end and heat lamp sitting high above for cold mornings. I have been grinding up the feed in my flour grinding on my vitamix. Also made them mash with ground up oatmeal. They have multiple waters and feeders so all get a share. Cleaned daily everything.
Even cover excess poo with paper towels throughout the day so I can keep watch on poo and so they are not getting on them. Been Giving him drops of water by hand, earlier with a little nutri drench.
I'm just at a loss. After the other two died I cleaned top to bottom everything just in case. I'm just surprised this many chicks are sick. This poor guy, it's so tough to watch and not know what to do.
The other just would not eat or drink, hand fed it for two days. Started to do okay then just went down hill fast.

D..
Sounds like coccidiosis. Try some corid in the water. Although, it usually takes about a week for them to get it. Another option would be to try antibiotics in the water, but you can't do both in the same water dish. That's what I would do if they were mine.

I've never ordered live chicks, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

He is still hangin in there. Slept with him most of the night and put him in a box with the heating pad. Didn't like being in the brooder alone. He are oatmeal and starter mash and nutri drench on his own. But mostly sleeps. Seem to be panting not as hard. So we will just see. Nothing open today to get antibiotics but will get some tomorrow.

Thanks for input. The others are doing very well.

Back
Top Bottom