URGENT: Frizzle Bantam egg damaged while hatching!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by juliecox, Sep 18, 2009.

1. juliecox

juliecox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Arlington, TX
    Yeah I know, the egg is SUPPOSED to break when they hatch! But this is a little different ...

I have a clutch of eggs under a hen who are hatching today. So far there are four, and several more pipping. Despite my dire warnings and close supervision, apparently I wasn't wary enough, because my preschooler snuck over to the hen and got one of the pipping eggs. Thinking he was helping, he pulled off a chunk of shell the size of my thumb pad before I could stop him. The membrane is still there, but the hard shell is gone. I can see the chick through her pip-hole, and she's squirming and cheeping. Should I leave her alone, or is she likely to be weak and in need of being separated? She's a bantam frizzled cochin, and the hen in charge is an Australorp. The other eggs are Silkie, bantam frizzled cochin and standard Ameraucana, if that makes any frikkin difference.

Thanks!

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Once the shell is compromised it becomes more difficult for the chick to zip. However, I would give it some more time under mama and see if it can hatch by itself.

It may not have absorbed all the yolk yet and "helping" right now could spell disaster.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I would put it back, as soon as you can, and wait and see. I accidentally crushed one of my eggs on day 25 (it was a duck--they hatch around 28-29 days)--a section of egg about the size of a half dollar. It hatched perfectly fine all by itself, despite my frenzied worrying. [​IMG] In fact, it hatched faster than any other egg in there.

I bet it'll be just fine. [​IMG] My kids once found a robin's nest in our backyard and my then-three-year-old went out when I wasn't watching, pushed a wagon up under the nest, climbed up, took an egg out and... when I went out there the egg had hatched in his hand--in a matter of seconds--there was a little blood, and membrane and shell, but I popped the baby back in the nest right quick (after freaking my son out with my screaming), and it was fine--the momma came back, sat on the babies, and they all did just fine--apparently he picked it up right as it was hatching out on its own. He always did have an uncanny knack with wildlife.

4. juliecox

Jul 27, 2009
    Arlington, TX
    I've left the little frizzle in with his mama and the other chicks. They're all really hatching out fast now! This little one seems to be doing alright with unzipping, but the egg is just crumbling as she gets further on. I'm going to keep an eye on her, to make sure she doesn't get caught up in membrane or something and is unable to get out. As much as I hate to disturb the hen while she's hatching them, I'm worried about that rapidly disintegrating shell.

Oh, and the Ameraucana egg I had that got cracked a few days ago, which I patched with candle wax? Is pipping and seems to be fine! Thank you, BYC for that idea!

5. juliecox

Jul 27, 2009
    Arlington, TX
    Alright, she has hatched out now. When last I checked on her, she was almost out, but seemed to be restrained by some dried out membrane that had adhered to her feathers somehow. Gritting my teeth and saying a tiny chicken-prayer, I pulled the membrane away from her. She kicked the rest of the shell off and flopped against Mama-Hen, who promptly tucked her under those big black feathers. I think she's gonna be fine! :) Thanks BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by