URGENT-- frozen feet!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dona Worry, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Crowing

Jul 5, 2018
    Vermont
    One of my polish crested chicks, 3 months old, has frozen feet.

She was very hypothermic, but I have already:
    Brought her inside.
    Warmed her slowly
    Fed a few ccs of electrolytes with nutri-drench
    Kept her very quiet.

My living room is about 85 degrees, thanks to a roaring woodstove, so that's where I am keeping her. Anything else I can do? Or just wait and see? Any way to salvage the toes?

2. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted To Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
  3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Crowing

Jul 5, 2018
    Vermont
    No pictures of the feet, the the toes feel as if they are literally frozen.

4. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    Pics would help

5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Crowing

Jul 5, 2018
    Vermont
    She is resting in the box, and I honestly don't want to take her out again right now, she is VERY distressed.

The toes are pale, stiff, and ice cold. They look and feel frozen. She attempted to stand and fell over.
    20190122_082646.jpg

6. WindingRoad

WindingRoad Songster

Nov 21, 2018
    Maine
    I know you are worried about her feet. Get some warm water into her. And anything she might eat. Do you know how this happened did she spend the night out side?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry about your chicken. You may not know how bad the damage is for a few days. If the feet froze solid, there is a chance that she may lose the feet, or toes. Do not handle the feet or legs, or try to massage them. Offer water with electrolytes to her and hold some mushy chicken feed with a bit of egg up to her beak while she is unable to stand. Place food and water close to her. When she is warmed, if she still cannot stand, a chicken sling or chair may be of benefit.

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry!
    I would warm her very slowly.
    @Blooie has a good article, I would read that https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbitten-feet-the-adventures-of-scout.67277/

Room temperature water/electrolytes would be good.
    I would not handle the foot too much at this time. Read that article and see what you think. If Blooie is on today, I'm sure she will chime in.

9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Crowing

Jul 5, 2018
    Vermont
    She was inside at bed checks, but it appears she must have either fallen or left the coop sometime in the night.
    She truly looked dead when I found her. She didn't even appear to be breathing until I held her over my woodstove for several minutes.

10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Crowing

Jul 5, 2018
    Vermont
    Thank you. I am handling her as little as possible, just letting her rest in her box. I did give her some warm electrolytes and nutri-drench when she first revived.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: