urgent! gold top

Chuckkeeper

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Yorkshire, England
Hi

I am considering buying three "gold tops" 2 day old chicks as I sadly have one chick ended up on her own after a rubbish hatch
I have finally found someone nearby with three chicks at the same age
I tried to hatch autosex eggs so I know my chick is a girl and if possible I want the same reassurance with any additional birds I buy in, so.....

The breeder advises that these 3 are:

coronation sussex X silkie

light sussex X silkie

buff sussex x silkie

Would these all follow the autosex rule of silver/yellow is boy and gold/brown is girl??

TheOddOneOut

Free Ranging
Feb 15, 2020
With my birds
Hi

I am considering buying three "gold tops" 2 day old chicks as I sadly have one chick ended up on her own after a rubbish hatch
I have finally found someone nearby with three chicks at the same age
I tried to hatch autosex eggs so I know my chick is a girl and if possible I want the same reassurance with any additional birds I buy in, so.....

The breeder advises that these 3 are:

light sussex X silkie

buff sussex x silkie

Would these all follow the autosex rule of silver/yellow is boy and gold/brown is girl??
MORE?
The Buff x Silkie wouldn’t...
I would’t trust it if they have all these different crosses.

Chuckkeeper

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Yorkshire, England
Post the pics of them. The buff x silkie wouldn’t be a autosexing unless the silkie is the hen and it’s a autosexing color.
The buff chick is the one in the middle . I've said no to that on the basis it won't autosex. The left and right chicks are the coronation/light to Silkie.

I think left is gold (female) and right is yellow (boy)??

Screenshot_20201030-000340.jpg
Screenshot_20201030-000349.jpg
Screenshot_20201029-235504.jpg

NatJ

Crowing
Mar 20, 2017
USA

light sussex X silkie

buff sussex x silkie

Buff x silkie isn't sex link if the buff silkie was the rooster. Others are sex link, and the only female is the one on the left.
I agree that Buff (Silkie) father and Light Sussex or Coronation Sussex mother should be sexlinks, with buff/gold/brown females and silver feathers/white or yellow down males.

Buff Silkie father and Buff Sussex mother should produce buff chicks of both genders.

Any chick with white feathers must be male (white/yellow down.)

If the breeder knows exactly which chick came from each hen, then chicks from two mothers can be sexed.

But make sure to check which chick came from the buff mother--it could be either gender but MUST be buff, so if the breeder says a white chick came from that mother, then there is a problem somewhere.

Top Bottom