URGENT - gravy!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by debilorrah, Mar 14, 2009.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Brown gravy recipe that does not use the drippings??????

2. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Got me there....I have used a package when desperate and then dressed it up with spices, onion, etc....but without the pan drippings I have no good response, but I will be interested to see what others offer.

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    onion, celery, sliced carrots, potato optional, butter in a metal pan. broil until veggies are carmelized, add water or broth to pan stirring and scraping the bits that stuck to the bottom. run thru a food mill or food processor and simmer until thickened. salt and pepper to taste!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  4. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

do you have beef broth in a can? yo can use that and add a thickener to it and whatever seasonings you like.

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Use beef boullion cubes and make to directions.

Bring to a boil on the stove.

Dig that Quick Shake from your Tupperware kit and put in a cup of cold water and about 3 or 4 TBSP flour.

Shake well and stir into your boullion. Cook til thickened.

6. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    i dont think you can have that..but you know what i always have on hand is kitchen bouquet..if you fried up some onions and mushrooms and tossed in that for good measure you would have some brown gravy.

7. debilorrah

Quote:THAT is what I was hoping for!!! Thank you soooo much! I use Wondra for gravy, there is no need to shake it together, never any lumps with that stuff!!!

I was SOOO hoping I could use the boullion cubes. PHEW!

8. debilorrah

Quote:I just ran out this week and forgot it at the store!!! Hence my panic. I dug all over til I found the boullion cubes too!

9. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    um... not to be blunt, but:

gravy = thickened, seasoned drippings.

Without drippings, it's just a sauce. It's simply not possible to make actual gravy without drippings.

10. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    Quote:its called improvising [​IMG]
    i feel your pain though, i ran out myself last night while making beef stew..my kids were a bit surprised to find out that my stew wasnt really a deep rich brown color. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by