Urgent!!! Heatstroke!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChristieB, Jan 16, 2015.

1. ChristieB

ChristieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    The shade blew off my temp run today and left my hens in complete Aussie summer midday sun for I don't know how long. As soon as I saw I brought them in. 3 are ok now, still have beaks open panting but are alert have had water and walking around but my Wyandotte is out to it, she had her eyes open when I first picked her up, I dribbled some water over her beak which she drank but since then she's been unconscious. I have her inside now where it's cooler (but not in direct line of air conditioning) so I can keep an eye on her, is there anything else I can do immediately? I know with dogs you would put them under running water, can I do that with a bird? She's the eldest of all my chooks but still in her first year

2. ChristieB

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    It's been half an hour since I brought her inside, an hour since I got them out of the sun, she's still unconscious

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I wish I could help!! I'm not really sure what else you can do either... :(
    I don't think putting her in running water is a good idea though, chooks are more susceptible to shock than dogs are. Maybe put a cool, wet washcloth on the bottoms of her feet? And maybe dab around her neck/head area? I'm just guessing, I am so sorry!!!

4. cutenmchick

cutenmchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2013
    New Mexico
    Hello...What I did for my chickens this past summer when I was in a similar situation, in addition to administering water, I used a very wet, dripping wet, wash cloth, just regular tap water, not hot or cold, just the temp it comes out of the faucet. I kept wiping the bird's feet. The fleshy part and the tops. I also wiped their heads, above the eyes and beak.

I don't know if that helped my birds as much as it helped me feel like I was doing something.

Good luck.

p.s., my birds made it OK.

I'm sorry she didn't make it. non-bird people told me once "it's just a chicken. you eat them don't you?" they just didn't understand. Aren't you glad you have support here?
    ...so sorry for you.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. ChristieB

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    I think she's gone, she had 3 big tremors then she stopped and all colour has gone from her comb and wattle, heart broken :(
    wish I'd checked them sooner I would have known they were in the sun.
    One more week till quarantine is over and the newbies can join them

6. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Oh, I am so very sorry!!! :( :(
    Unfortunately, accidents do happen. Please do not blame yourself, you tried to help the best you could once you saw what happened.
    Truly sorry for your loss... **hugs**

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by