Urgent! Help! Another sick Parakeet! UPDATE: He's gone....

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by 77horses, Jan 18, 2010.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Help! My family's green and yellow male Parakeet, Kiwi, is acting very strange and sickly.
    Today we hadn't seen him very much and noticed he was spending more time in the bottom of the cage. And when my sister opened up the cage he flew up from the bottom of it and was wet and his feathers on his head felt hard. Then we realized he was wet because of their plastic bowl filled with water (they love taking baths in it). It was kinda dirty because they had used it today a lot and we hadn't cleaned it yet. Maybe he fell in or something and almost drowned? But why? Was he sick in the first place? But anyway, we dried him off and his eyes looked glazed and he was squinting a lot. [​IMG] Poor Kiwi! His tail was held down and he just seemed very weak and light-weight. When we picked him up, it felt like he was going to fall over from weakness. We took Kiwi and separated him with food and water.

He isn't touching his food even when I put it right up to his beak. He won't drink any water. He keeps blinking and his eyes look so small and glazed. We put his new mate, Sunny, with him and right now she is preening him and he seems to be enjoying her company. She's his "new" mate because his previous mate, Toddra, passed away a few weeks ago mysteriously. We believe she died from old age because we had her for so long. I'm worried that what's happening to Kiwi is what happened to our Zebra finches, Joey and Sweety. Sweety died from getting caught in a piece of nesting material and Joey died the next day from what we think was the loss of his mate he had had all his life. Kiwi and Toddra were mates for a long time and now that she died, he had been fine up until today. [​IMG]

What can we do for him? We put him in a separate cage with Sunny, who is keeping him company by cleaning him up and snuggling with him on the perch. We covered up half the cage with a blanket to keep any drafts off of him and to keep him relaxed and warm. He is able to stay perched on his perch and he can climb around and everything, but he still seems very tired and lethargic.
    Any advice is appreciated! Thanks! [​IMG]
    -77horses

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Anyone?! Please help! He looks like he's getting worse! [​IMG] He's breathing harder and he keeps twitching his head a little. The only sound he made so far was a tiny peep sound when he saw Sunny. His eyes are tiny and glazed and we think he's about to die. [​IMG]
    Is there any way we can help save him at all? [​IMG]

Please, any advice is much needed and appreciated. Thanks.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

If it's a crisis, you should head for a vet ASAP.

Good luck,

Imp

4. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Imp- since we don't have a nearby avian vet and the vet that is the closest to us is very expensive, my dad refuses to bring Kiwi to the vet. He says to just leave him alone and let him be; if he dies he dies, if he lives he lives. That's how he thinks. [​IMG] I don't know any other thing to do but to leave him in his cage with Sunny to comfort him and with food and water and a blanket. Other than that, I don't know what to do. [​IMG]

5. Imp

I guess you are left with few options. Supportive care. Can you give him V & E, antibiotics, All the things you would do for any sick bird. If he won't drink, can you put a drop on his beak so he will swallow it?

Sorry You are going through this

Imp

6. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I don't think we have any antibiotics at the moment, sorry. [​IMG] I've tried putting a drop of water on his beak, he won't swallow it. [​IMG]
    Thanks

7. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    UPDATE:
    Kiwi is really not doing well at all. I just checked on him and found him in the bottom of his cage on the floor, laying on his stomach with his wings spread out. I picked him up and his eyes seem to be less glazed, but he's just so weak and can barely stand up on his own. [​IMG] I'm sitting here in tears because I feel so bad for him and I don't know what to do to help him. [​IMG] He's not my bird, he's my brother's bird, but I care about him anyway just like all of our pets.
    His wings are drooping a lot and when I was holding him, he kept trying to crawl up my arm and he was trying to crawl up my sleeve, as if he wants to hide away somewhere. [​IMG] Bridget, another parakeet we had a couple years ago who died unexpectedly, used to do this same thing before she died. Maybe they want to hide away because they know they are going to die and don't want to be vulnerable to predators because of some instinct?

Poor Kiwi. He used to be so lively. His singing was so beautiful. Now he won't make a single peep. He used to have handsome crest-like feathers on his head that he would raise up when he was happy and when he sang. Now they are flat and lifeless. [​IMG]
    I don't think he's going tp pull through this. I have to go to my mom's house in less than an hour so I will probably never see him again. [​IMG]

But I'm praying he will make it anyway, despite what he looks like now.

8. Imp

I'm so sorry.

Imp

9. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Thanks Imp. But don't feel sorry. You've helped me all you can. Thank you so much. [​IMG]

Kiwi seems to be going quickly. He can't walk anymore. He's just lying in the bottom of the cage, curled up in a corner. I was just holding him and I could feel him breathing and his little heart beating. But I can't stand to watch him anymore. [​IMG] [​IMG] I've had my finch die in my hands before and she was acting this way, and I just can't have that happen again.

10. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Update: Kiwi's dead. He just died a few minutes ago in the bottom of his cage. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hopefully now he will be happy in Heaven with Toddra, his mate.
    Good bye Kiwi.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by