URGENT HELP!!! BABY CHICK GOT PICKED ON!!

chickstarter123

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2021
Pls pls help me what can I do for my 2 week old baby chick, another hen from my flock has picked on my baby and burst open its crop, I can see it hanging out, he is trying to eat and drink but i dont think that’s working. He is literally trying to help himself to eat and roam around and I still see his open crop and the stored food in there. I don’t think he’s going to make it🥲his crop wont fit into his body even though im trying to put it back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 29
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry about your chick.
Do you have photos of what it looks like?
Is vet care an option?

If not, then you may need to cull.

You could try repairing it, a lot depends on how much damage there is. There's 2 layers at the crop. The crop "sac" itself and then skin covering it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-crop-operation-warning-graphic-pics.21291/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/possible-esophagus-or-crop-puncture.1302708/post-21223475
thankyou sm for responding to this!! Im sorry I was busy before so I couldnt reply.
Do unfortunately i donot have the vet facility in my area and the poultrt doctor is not an option for me.

I noticed that his crop sack was slightly torn and open and I could see his food from the outside and whenever he would drink water the water would somehow drip out. I didn’t do much except for like covering up his wound because I’m a newbie and I had no experience whatsoever to use an antibiotic. I have bought neosporin and hopefully I’ll start using it . Firstly I’ll clean the area with betadine and then apply some neosporin on his crop. He is pooping as well as eating and drinking but I bet very little food is reaching to his stomach. At night I usually leave him with his mama under her.
Im also scared that he may have dirtied that area as he was drinking water and fell out in the mud. Hopefully I’ll clean it soon as of now I’ve separated him and kept it w me just covering up the area. I hope he recovers soon I dont want to cull my baby and he is the only chick of my beautiful mama hen. I’ll also upload some pics when I’m cleaning it.

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry about your chick.
Do you have photos of what it looks like?
Is vet care an option?

If not, then you may need to cull.

You could try repairing it, a lot depends on how much damage there is. There's 2 layers at the crop. The crop "sac" itself and then skin covering it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-crop-operation-warning-graphic-pics.21291/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/possible-esophagus-or-crop-puncture.1302708/post-21223475
So it looks like this some what he is chirping and moving around but is also sleeping at the same time. I can see his open crop and area around is very dark black.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 23
Sorry about this but I'd put him down. Had a hen with same issue after a hawk attack and I put her down immediately. If you can't repair it cleanly then he's going to die a slow death from infection or necrosis of the tissue.

So it looks like this some what he is chirping and moving around but is also sleeping at the same time. I can see his open crop and area around is very dark black.

Even if you can bind up the wound, I'd be worried that the contents of the crop would leak out into the chest cavity...

If they're still pooping, chances are that the opening and exit are still fine, so if you are adamantly against culling, you could attempt to suture the hole in the crop that you see closed and bandage it so that it's not exposed to the elements. It's going to be really hard to keep infection from setting in, so you should probably start them on antibiotics if you're gonna try it. But if you don't know what you're doing, it's probably best to humanely euthanize them.

Back
Top Bottom