Urgent Help! Call duck day 26, can I break into the membrane for the duckling??

Croissant

Songster
Mar 18, 2022
I have another two threads open but I’m not sure when I’ll get a reply from Wvduckchick since I’m in the UK and I’m assuming they’re in a different country - and this is something I might need to act on quickly because whilst the duckling was moving in the morning it’s no longer moving - the veins seem to have receded enough from what it was originally in the first picture. I think the duckling is the wrong way round so it is away from the air cell - and the air cell didn’t get bigger to begin with. What it was before:
E61807F2-2E98-4BD4-BD59-3720688C8099.jpeg

Now:
37DADBEE-FE08-4CBC-8C88-6A8DA87E0DBC.jpeg

Good sign, bad sign? Especially since the duckling isn’t moving right now

Last edited:
How determined are you to save this duckling… ? It is not the best idea to assist a hatch, though others have done it and gotten good results. It takes 28 days for call eggs to hatch, I suggest leaving it be.

Make sure the humidity is right, if it’s too low the membrane will dry and may shrink wrap that duckling if it’s still alive.

How determined are you to save this duckling… ? It is not the best idea to assist a hatch, though others have done it and gotten good results. It takes 28 days for call eggs to hatch, I suggest leaving it be.
The duckling was sadly already dead at the time of posting this :( I only realised after I pulled back more of its shell - it was all yellowy inside

Make sure the humidity is right, if it’s too low the membrane will dry and may shrink wrap that duckling if it’s still alive.
The humidity is higher for the other two though - I’m still waiting on the one that externally popped to start unzipping, it’s been - well it’s reaching 19 hours from the time I saw the pip, I’m not sure if it’s been longer.

The duckling was sadly already dead at the time of posting this :( I only realised after I pulled back more of its shell - it was all yellowy inside
I’ve never peeled back the shell on a duckling’s egg, sorry for your loss. Hopefully you with have some strong ducklings in two days.

Back
Top Bottom