Urgent help eggs in incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dolittle, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Dolittle

Dolittle Out Of The Brooder

Hi

This is my first time with eggs in an incubator.. Long story but I have had an 18 hour power cut, generator broke down, couldn't get out due to flooded driveway etc.. The incubator with 23 eggs in it got down to 22 degrees C before power was restored.

I am wondering if it is still viable for any chicks to hatch or whether I should just abandon eggs and avoid heartbreak ? ! We are at around day 9 of incubating.

Thanks
    Jen

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You might still get some to hatch. Eggs can take a bit of cooling because the mother has to get off the nest to feed herself. If they do hatch, they will probably be a little late. I'd say give them a candle tomorrow. By that point it will be apparent if any died.

3. Dolittle

Thanks

I have also never candled. Is it obvious if the new chicks are dead ? I thought you could just see the embryo?

Thanks for your time

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    When they die, all the veins disintegrate and oftentimes form a blood ring. This is a duck egg, but it looks the same inside. You can see all the veining that means the embryo is alive and healthy:

[​IMG]

A dead egg will not have all this nice veining, and will probably have a ring of blood around it.

5. Dolittle

That's awesome. Thank you so much for your answers, I will candle them tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks
    Jen

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Good luck! I hope they all made it!

7. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    How did the candling go? Did you have any viable embryos?

8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

x2 I'd love an update :)

9. Dolittle

Belatedly replying - I did candle and thought I had a few viable - though didn't take any pics..

Then 10 days or so later i got my first chick !! I was so excited when I saw it pip I was up all night watching it! I then got 6 more which was fantastic (apart from the sleepless nights watching them too !!) .. 5 light Sussex and 2 Araucana - the Araucana are particularly photogenic : )

here are some of my babies - though not babies anymore they have already been moved to the outside 'nursery' and are thriving - crossed fingers they are all hens!.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    Great looking chicks, congratulations and the best of luck with them being hens :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by