Urgent! help estimating when eggs will hatch

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mjanderson437, Mar 21, 2013.

1. mjanderson437

mjanderson437 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    We have semi wild mallard ducks on our ponds. They are not tame to your hand, they just grace our ponds with their presence. :) Anyway my brother in laws aggravating dog found a nest and has been snacking on eggs we discovered when he ran thru the yard with an egg in his mouth yesterday. So I promptly removed the last 6 eggs and put them in my incubator. I got the bright idea to look in the egg he cracked yesterday and the poor little duck was already formed and feathered! Any idea how far along in development that may be so I can anticipate when they might hatch?

Right now I have 26 chicken eggs in the same bator that I just set on Tuesday. I do have a LG still air to use as a hatcher and I can move them to it late Friday, early Saturday if needed.

ETA: we bought these ducks, they are not true wild mallards. They are not hand tame, however, they live their lives on 7 acres of ponds and the surrounding land. They are not penned, pinioned etc.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. mjanderson437

Feb 1, 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    Anyone???

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am not a hatcher, but duck eggs take around 28 days, sometimes a few days longer.

If the duckling was already formed, I'd guess within a week the others - if still viable - might begin to hatch.

4. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    Next time you candle one of the mallard eggs, snap a photo to share! We might be able to tell how close to hatching the eggs are based on the size of the embryo and air cell.

It sounds like they are pretty far along. If they are still viable, they'll probably hatch long before your chicken eggs. If you hear "peeping" and see the eggs moving, you may want to move them into your hatcher right away. Remember that duck eggs need a higher humidity than chicken eggs for lockdown.

Good luck! I hope you're able to hatch those ducklings.

5. mjanderson437

Feb 1, 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    Thanks, me too! I just hatched 7 eggs from a nest that got flooded by the water level increase in the pond after 5 days of rain. They hatched Monday and so far are doing well. I guess I'll get the hatcher ready and keep a close eye on these guys for the next few days. Hopefully I'll have as good results as the first time.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    What exactly is a "semi wild" mallard?

Interfering with wild mallard nests, regardless of how good the intentions are, is illegal. As they, their nests and eggs are protected by the Migratory Bird Act.

I am not trying to cause an arguement but just stating fact. :)

7. Winterose

Winterose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    Moodus, CT

If you read the OP first post fully they bought the ducks and just havnt tamed them

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    OK. I actually read it yesterday but didn't reply and didn't reread after the edit.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by