URGENT!!! Help my ducks are dying one by one

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lenae, Mar 3, 2017.

1. lenae

lenae Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2017
    A few days ago I came home to find my drake just floating in his pond. I got him out and he died a few moments later in my hands. My girl had been showing no signs of bad health (neither did he) until this morning. She isn't moving around as much, can't seem to walk is really weak and not eating or drinking. She has fresh water and food and I cleaned out their pond and cage when my drake passed. Can anyone help me

2. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    More info on where they live, how they live (free range?) etc.

I know that hardware disease is pretty common, meaning they ate a screw or staple or something metal and it kills them suddenly.
    We really need more info, but I'd like to help if I can with my limited knowledge.

Hen could be sad about the drake passing.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  3. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Was his neck all floppy? Do you think he drowned? Are there frogs/fish/other critters around the pond?

If he did get sick, it's possible the hen has it too. Hopefully though she is just sad. I would get her a mirror and keep her around where you are so she has company. When you are sure she isn't sick,then you can to get another duck

4. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX

Idk how likely it is that a duck drowned (im sure it happens, not contradicting Bills vs Beaks AT ALL) but I agree

5. lenae

lenae Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2017
    We live in nth Queensland. The cage is closed but they do free range. We have chickens as well and at this stage they look fine. I don't think it's broken heart anymore she won't move. No he didn't drown he was sitting in the water as though everything was fine just he wouldn't get out of the pond I got him out and he wouldn't move.

This was him [​IMG]

6. lenae

lenae Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2017
    Sorry I tried to upload a video but it didn't work.

7. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    Is that him dead?

8. lenae

lenae Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2017
    No he was just laying there he did dye about hour after this.

9. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX

Poor baby... nothing physical seems to be wrong with him. Did he have any seizures? And kind of shaking?

(By physical I mean exterior damage)

10. lenae

lenae Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2017
    I did think that at first but now that she is going the same way he was I'm worried it's something bad or contagious

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by