Urgent: Help My Muscovy Duck Is Injured!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by misscrazy24, Jul 11, 2011.

1. misscrazy24

misscrazy24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Mississauga
    So - I have two muscovy's and a chick and they're about 3 months now.

History:

R-D: 4 days older - attached to us - full wings haven't grown in yet! - I think he's the male BUT - somehow his blood feathers started bleeding - and i took care of him and put him back. WHEN i came back the next day - ALL of them were GONE! (I think the other duck pulled them out?) And his fur (Duckling fur was missing!) So i caged him off - BUT HE ESCAPED and so i found that a blood feather was broken on the OTHER side.

Of course the LAST straw- it was the other duckling who was biting away at her [​IMG]. So i've isolated him completely and applied polysporon on it = I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO!

The ducks and the chicken have been living together happily for the last 3 months =/ so I have no idea how he got injured - but i'm assuming the blood is causing the other duckling to nip at him [​IMG]..

idunno what to do! With the patches grow back? I intend on keeping him isolated until he's all better.

[​IMG].

What else can i do? I've kept him Isolated all day today - and he's doing better me thinks - the female doesn't like being w/out him so i keep him in a laundry basket next to her.

but most importantly - will the fur grow back? the feathers will come back right? anyone know how long before they do?!!

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Yeah, the feathers will grow back. I don't keep ducks so I don't know how long it will take
    I am wondering if you are feeding a high enough protein feed for your ducks . Feathers are made of protein so hungry birds will sometimes pluck other birds. If there are raw spots, I would apply blue coat to it
    Good luck, I think he will be ok:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by