We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

URGENT help needed - 5 day old baby duckling sick?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dees ducks, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Dees ducks

Dees ducks Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    UK
    Hi all,
    5 days ago I hatched 3 silver appleyard ducklings. All was going really well, all 3 were strong, lively, eating and drinking fine. This morning I woke to a power cut but don't think that is the problem. One of the ducklings is chirping constantly and cowering in the corner. I've picked him up and placed in my lap and he settles straight away, however, when I put him back in the brooder he immediately goes into the corner with his beak down and starts chirping again. The other two are fine and normal and I have not treated them different so the sudden change in behaviour is really concerning. I am feeding them non medicated chick starter with niacin and have had the little one drink a bit of water with electrolytes. I haven't managed to get him to eat anything although the last few days he's been eating great! I'm so worried, does anyone have any ideas as to what may be happening?

casportpony likes this.
  2. Dees ducks

Dees ducks Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    UK
    Can anyone help?

casportpony likes this.
  3. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    casportpony likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I am not sure what it could be what are the temps in your brooder? Can you post a picture of the little ducklings poop.

casportpony and DuckyDonna like this.
  5. Dees ducks

Dees ducks Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    UK
    temperature is 87.5 +/- 5.
    please see below pic of poop and with siblings.... IMG_20190720_145126.jpg IMG_20190720_145118.jpg IMG_20190720_145110.jpg

casportpony likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Def doesn't look like it feels good. Have you noticed if they have been nipping on the blanket you have in there? I am always very leery about putting anything with strings or fringe in with chicks or ducklings since they try an eat anything. I hope @casportpony will be on soon she is expert on poop.

casportpony and DuckyDonna like this.
  7. Dees ducks

Dees ducks Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    UK
    Hi MIss Lydia, thanks for your reply. I only put the fleece blanket down this morning and before that it was just a towel?
    It's back in the brooder now but obviously still distressed. I'll take him out and comfort him for another while but I'm really very worried.

casportpony likes this.
  8. Dees ducks

Dees ducks Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    UK
    Gosh - as soon as I pick him up and place him under the crook of my neck he quietens down - maybe it's out of fright!!!!
    Ha only kidding, I think he feels comfoted, but I can't stay like this all day

9. Miss Lydia

Do you have a stuffed animal or a sock you can stuff with some cloths warm it in the dryer. place it with the duckling? How does the crop area feel? Will it drink water? do you have any Poultry Nutri Drench? Do you have anything you could make a sling out of so you could carry the duckling around for a while? till we hear from @casportpony I tagged her and also gave her your link via conversation. Sorry a lot of questions I know.

casportpony likes this.
  10. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    Can you warm up the brooder?

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: