URGENT HELP NEEDED....Bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pgpoultry, Jan 23, 2011.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My NN roo has seemed a bit out of sorts for the last day or two....nothing I could put my finger on.

Today I noticed him standing on one leg and limping badly when he tried to weight bear. On inspecting his foot, the 'pad is very swollen and hot (no definite scab) and the whole foot and 'ankle ' region is swollen too. He felt very light in weight.

I have never had a chicken with bumblefoot, but looking on the web it looked rather similar, though no scab. The 'pad' felt fluctuant, so I inserted a wide gauge needle to see if there was any pus, but only blood came back.
    the foot looks very infected, so I gave him a very small dose of our veterinary penicillin (Unicillin La....Procaine penicillin G 150,000units and Benthzathine penicillin G 150,000units per ml.)...being a weekend and miles from vet. help until tomorrow. i gave the injection to the side of the breast bone as suggested in one article (though others suggest the thigh).I have crushed aspirin into his water and bought him indoors. His appetite seems excellent.

Could anyone please advise as to what further I can do?....I remember somewhere reading about iodine and sugar poultices.

What is the best dose of penicillin to give...or shall I get a different antibiotic from my vet tomorrow? Where is the best place to inject?

Any other suggestions as to what I need to do?

Thank You.

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
  3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Thank you, Highlander, the link was a very useful one.

There is no scab still on the foot, but the 'pad' remains hot and very swollen. The swelling on the top of the foot (in the webs between the toes) has, if anything, diminished overnight. He stills seems bright and his appetite is good. He remains very reluctant to weight bear, but can do so.

I have washed the foot in antiseptic.

Shall I give him more antibiotic...and, if so, which is the best site for injection?

Thank you.

4. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I have never injected antibiotics so I cannot help you there I'm afraid. Most of the bumblefoot threads I have read suggest not using antibiotics at all though. Here is another useful thread that suggests a non-invasive solution.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=303829

SpeckledHen has had a lot of experience with bumblefoot - if you are still struggling I would suggest getting in touch with her. Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by