Urgent help needed-- hatched chick's cord is attached to shell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by goatkeepers, Jul 25, 2008.

1. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    The chick that I just helped out has its umbilical cord (if htat's what you call it) still attached to the bottom half of the shell. Now its kinda dragging the shell half around. Can I gut the part thats attached??? .It doesn't look bloody, just a little "yolk-y". Thanks!!

2. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't not at first anyway. Two of our had that upon hatching, and within a short time.. 10 min or so, it fell off. Give it time to normalize.. and stay outta that bator you! [​IMG]

I'm so glad they are hatching for you

3. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    I know, I know, but this one had pipped a long time ago and wasnt making any advancements. I just had a gut feeling. [​IMG] Like I wrote before, the one last night died on me after it pipped... I didn't want to lose another one.

It's really wet looking, is that what was going on with yours? I hope it will fall off. Thanks! [​IMG]

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    It should dry up and fall off.....LEAVE IT!!!!!!

5. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Leaving it alone! *Hands up smiley here* [​IMG]

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    LOL I would leave it [​IMG] Wouldn't want lurky reaching through the monitor at ya! [​IMG]

7. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    I know!! [​IMG]

[​IMG] Just kidding, Wendy! I really do appreciate you keeping me in line. I'd be in a baaad place if it wasn't for you right now! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by