Urgent help needed pics included

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Summerashlee, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Summerashlee

Summerashlee Chirping

May 22, 2019
    Uk
    My bantom egg has hatched and it's still attached to the shell and I think it hasn't fully absorbed the yolk it's not very happy at all please help this is the only one to hatch out of 6 eggs 20190617_163038.jpg 20190617_162927.jpg 20190617_162919.jpg 20190617_162910.jpg 20190617_162901.jpg

2. Stacyoung13

Stacyoung13 Crowing

Apr 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Leave her in the incubator until she fully absorbs the yoke. After she absorbs everything, the shell and stuff will dry and fall off.

guineapeeps, MROO and Summerashlee like this.
  3. Summerashlee

Summerashlee Chirping

May 22, 2019
    Uk
    Thank u so much for you reply I'm so worried praying she /he makes it. Is there anything I can do to give it the best chance

MROO likes this.
  4. IamRainey

IamRainey Songster

How is she (?) doing?

We just hatched our first clutch of eggs. Altho we didn't have this specific prob we went to bed one night thinking one who came out of the egg really weak and lethargic would be dead by the time we woke up. Turned out she (?) was healthy and vigorous instead once she'd had the time she needed to recover.

I'm a believer that all living things are equipped for the vicissitudes of life or they aren't. And nature knows best which should have to face them sooner and later. We're more tender hearted than nature but I'm not sure we know better.

5. Summerashlee

Summerashlee Chirping

May 22, 2019
    Uk
    She's still stuck to the shell and a small amount of yolk is still visible still alive and peeping and wiggling she's been like this since around 1pm any idea how long it might take to absorb the yolk do o have to keep it moist I've put damp kitchen roll under the shell is this right

6. Summerashlee

Summerashlee Chirping

May 22, 2019
    Uk
    So I've just had a look and now there seems to be blood on the chicks tummy and legs she's gone a little quite aswell

MROO likes this.
  7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Brace yourself, there is a good chance it won't make it.

Summerashlee and MROO like this.
  8. Summerashlee

Summerashlee Chirping

May 22, 2019
    Uk
    I was thinking the same poor little thing I feel so bad think I may not be cut out for hatching

MROO likes this.
  9. Mixed flock enthusiast

Mixed flock enthusiast Crowing

May 21, 2018
    Stillwater, OK
    I really hope that your chick makes it! If it doesn’t, then it doesn’t mean that you aren’t cut out for hatching! It can be a tough thing to get right as there are a lot of variables. If so few of your set eggs hatch, there’s probably a problem with temperature/humidity/the eggs themselves that you’ll want to figure out. Again, best of luck with your chick!

guineapeeps and Summerashlee like this.
  10. MROO

MROO Free Ranging

If your little one is still attached to the shell, put a little dot of antibiotic cream on the drying out spots. Vaseline will work to keep it moist, but not to fight infection.
    And even if this one doesn't make it, don't give up on hatching. These things happen to even the most experienced "chickeneers." The joy and wonder when it all goes well is worth the false starts ... and it all counts towards experience!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: