URGENT help needed please! 1st hatch - classroom chick in danger!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by laurenm83, Apr 22, 2009.

1. laurenm83

laurenm83 New Egg

Apr 22, 2009
    We hatched 9 of 12 eggs today in our classroom! All were fine but one - when he came out of the shell he had a piece of shell along with a string of tissue stuck to his bum. He dragged it around forever. It was dry and just hanging on by a thread so I cut it off, leaving a bit of it to his bum as when I pulled it didn't come off easily and seemed to hurt him. This has, even now, left a small b-b size pellet of what looks like dried blood or tissue on his bum with a tiny tiny string on it still. I try to carefully pull it off but it is stuck good. He hadn't pooped all day **until just now, as I type - which is a good sign I guess, because I thought that would block him and kill him.

THE BIGGER PROBLEM: The guy doesn't walk! He never did... he flops around on his back or side and peeps so loudly when he can't flip himself over! It's SO SAD. Both legs move, both wings move, he just can't get up and walk. I stand him up and get his legs under him, but he immediately falls to the side.

I feel so bad for "Chicken Little", as he has ben dubbed. Is there ANYTHING I can do for him? I called the farm where we got the eggs and the farmer casually says "You just gotta kill him." I don't know where to begin to do or to find someone to do that!

THANKS in advance for any help!

2. laurenm83

laurenm83 New Egg

Apr 22, 2009
    Just a note also, he hatched about 7am this morning, so he's been out around 12 hours. I'm hoping someone will say "ooh it can take a couple days for them to walk..." but I think that is wishful thinking [​IMG]

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Make a little donut for him to sit upright in (or put him in a small coffee mug). Sometimes if they get stuck in a weird position while hatching they can't make their muscles work to stand right. If you put him in something that holds him in the correct position his muscles will get use to it...the faster you correct it the better chance he has. I had a few like that and they all did fine if corrected early. The tissue on his bum will dry up and fall off...it's just the umbilicus. [​IMG] Good luck!

4. laurenm83

laurenm83 New Egg

Apr 22, 2009
    Thank you! I will try it and keep you posted...

5. stephys_fluffybutts

stephys_fluffybutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    chickensmackdown
    its good to leave most of the cord on. If its pulled off when it isnt ready then you can cause more damage to the bird. They could blead from the area or possibly loose its yolk. I have sadly had this happen. Put him in a cup with a wash cloth. That could keep him frow turning over. Try giving him some sugar water. That will give him a boost. I hope he does better.

6. laurenm83

laurenm83 New Egg

Apr 22, 2009
    he is sitting nicely in the drip cup from my foreman grill lol

7. stephys_fluffybutts

stephys_fluffybutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    chickensmackdown
    lol thats funny lol

8. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    Quote:I'd love to see a pic of that! [​IMG]

I do hope your chick gets better! [​IMG][​IMG]

9. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    I've heard that you can also give them liquid baby vitamins (without iron). These might give him the little boost he needs to gain some strength. Good luck...

10. laurenm83

laurenm83 New Egg

Apr 22, 2009
    Interesting about the vitamins, I'll look into that...

Here he is, getting his "Physical Therapy" in a cup. I really hope this works. Any idea on how long it will take? I mean like hours/days? He'll probably flop out of it tonight while I'm sleeping... hope he gets enough benefit!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by