urgent help needed re lockdown/hatching

Discussion in 'Quail' started by yallapilko, Dec 12, 2012.

1. yallapilko

yallapilko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    Hi all,
    Help! My first brood are going into lock down , but I need to know if I should remove the egg separators, ready for hatching, which would mean that the eggs will lay on their sides, not blunt side up. They are long slats used to separate the eggs and keep them in place when tilting from side to side. I'm using a R Com Suro digital incubator, and there is nothing in the instructions to say what to do at this point!
    So what do you think, to remove them or let them stay as they are?

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Okay I'm not familiar with your incubator, but for our incubators, yes, the eggs lay on their side. This is the same for our styros as well as cabinet. I'd sugest an on line guide manual search for that incubator. Good luck, if I find it, I'll post it here! Happy hatching and hope this helps!

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, you want to remove any egg separators, turners and such and it helps to put down some sort of non-skid material down and set the eggs on their sides. They will hatch just fine this way. Make sure your vents are completely open and fresh air is circulating. Up your humidity by 10%. If you have too, add wet sponges to add more humidity. Let the chicks completely dry before removing them at hatch. Try not to open the lid of the incubator too much to let out the humidity. Good luck!

5. yallapilko

yallapilko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    Thanks Bargain and twocrowsranch.... It's good to know that people are out there for us quail folk! I will take out the separaters and up the humidity. There is a nice sponge slot at the top of the incubator. And I'll open the air vent too.
    They are a Hungarian blood line that I'm hatching, although I've kept quail a while, I've never hatched my own and got this incubator as a present.So I'm feeling quite excited.
    Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by